Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

transgendered child using female restroom, even though he has male genitalia?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/index.html?fb_action_ids=3828885379370&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A145734982258074%7D&action_type_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

This elementary school-aged child, who was born a boy but identifies as female, has dressed as female for quite a while, has been banned from using the female restrooms at school.  The school has offered to let the child use the gender neutral teachers' restrooms, or the nurse's restroom.

I'm just wondering what you think about this.  We don't have this issue at school, so I'm curious.  Would you be okay with a child that identifies as female, but has male genitalia, using the same restroom as your daughter?  Or vice versa?  Or is it more important to focus on, this child is female on the inside, so is it wrong for him/her (I'm not clear on terminology, I'm sorry) to use the male restroom?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I just don't get why the girl/boy's parents would allow this. I'm all for gay and transgendered rights, but I feel a child that young is unable to fully identify as an opposite gender.

If the parent's want to encourage her to be the opposite gender, let her use the teacher's bathroom. I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent being upset that their young child is being exposed to male genitalia.
do11face
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I would be fine with it. The girls restroom has stalls. No biggie. I suppose letting the child use the teacher's or the nurses is an ok compromise.

I would worry about a girl going into a boys restroom, though.

singlemama0905
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this
If that was MY child, I would be one very angry mom and the administration at that school would probably want to crawl into a hole and hide. SHE needs to be able to use the gorls restroom. They use stalls, so it's not like anyone would even see anything anyways.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Personally, I wouldn't want him using the female restroom. He may feel he is a female, but facts are he still has  male genitalia and I don't think it should be okay for him to use the female restrooms with little girls.

Now, if he wanted to use the adult restroom, than I say go for it. ( sorry, I just don't believe in this transgender stuff.)

I don't understand all this transgender stuff either. It seems so common. WTF?????????

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
In his mind he IS a real little girl.

And exposed to what? It's not like SHE will be running around shaking it at everyone.

Transgender does NOT equal pervert

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree with the school. You may dress and call yourself a she, but you still have a penis!? Its not right for REAL little girls to be possibly exposed to that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I don't understand it either, along with a lot of other things that are so dominant now that weren't ten or fifteen years ago.  Is it happening more now, or are we just talking about it more now?

I'm all for a child being allowed to be him or herself, I just don't understand a child so young being able to make such a huge decision.  If it were my child, I'd be torn between, "We should follow his/her lead and not stifle him/her," and, "He/she is too young to make this decision so we need to guide him/her and protect him/her as much as possible."  But, it's not my child, so I can't really say what I would do.

If this were happening in my school, I would not be comfortable with a male, identifying as female, using the girls' restroom with my daughter.  I wouldn't be comfortable with a female, identifying as male, using the boys' restroom with my son.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Personally, I wouldn't want him using the female restroom. He may feel he is a female, but facts are he still has  male genitalia and I don't think it should be okay for him to use the female restrooms with little girls.

Now, if he wanted to use the adult restroom, than I say go for it. ( sorry, I just don't believe in this transgender stuff.)

I don't understand all this transgender stuff either. It seems so common. WTF?????????

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Ugh! Everything and everyone is so fucking PC and "shades of gray". This is black and white. Penis- boys room. Vagina- girls room.

I'm sure this has been an issue for kids who have gender identity issues for decades. Not until the 21st century has this been such a big deal. What did kids do years ago? They went to their "assigned" genders restroom. Done!

And there are schools out there that are removing doors from bathroom stalls!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I agree that he should use the gender neutral restrooms.
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Eh I see boys in women's public restrooms all the time anyway so it really doesn't bother me.  But I can also see the school's pov.  They are willing to accommodate the child by providing a gender neutral bathroom; the parents should follow along and move on down the road.  Parents need to understand there are so many children and parents all with various POVs on this subject and learn to BEND A LITTLE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My child is not yet in school, but kids don't really care to much about privacy. I know when i was in the younger grades girls used to poke their heads under the stalls while you where using the bathroom to talk to you. I don't know if its different now don't want to think about my kid doing that But i would hate for it to happen and a little girl see her first penis that way.

Quoting Kitschy:

What would she be exposed to? Do they share stalls at your children's school?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she has boy parts. Im sorry, but if i had a little girl, i would not want her exposed to that. I think the gender neutral bathroom will be just fine if shes against using the boys.

Quoting missymackie:

I don't see why they wouldn't let her use the female restroom

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)