Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

transgendered child using female restroom, even though he has male genitalia?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/index.html?fb_action_ids=3828885379370&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A145734982258074%7D&action_type_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

This elementary school-aged child, who was born a boy but identifies as female, has dressed as female for quite a while, has been banned from using the female restrooms at school.  The school has offered to let the child use the gender neutral teachers' restrooms, or the nurse's restroom.

I'm just wondering what you think about this.  We don't have this issue at school, so I'm curious.  Would you be okay with a child that identifies as female, but has male genitalia, using the same restroom as your daughter?  Or vice versa?  Or is it more important to focus on, this child is female on the inside, so is it wrong for him/her (I'm not clear on terminology, I'm sorry) to use the male restroom?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Personally, I wouldn't want him using the female restroom. He may feel he is a female, but facts are he still has  male genitalia and I don't think it should be okay for him to use the female restrooms with little girls.

Now, if he wanted to use the adult restroom, than I say go for it. ( sorry, I just don't believe in this transgender stuff.)

I don't understand all this transgender stuff either. It seems so common. WTF?????????

I've watched the tv shows about it and to be honest, I don't get it. Some people go so far to even ruin their families and children's lives, just so they can be called something they were not born. It makes me sad....

CutieCrab
by Jen on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Quoting megandwade:

I agree with the child having to use the gender neutral teacher or nurses restroom.

mommybob
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I'm kind of torn about this issue.  I agree with the school to a certain extent but I can understand how the parents are concered with the well being of their child.  I have 2 boys and I could not even begin to explain why there's a little girl in the boys bathroom.  I think they should just let her use the girls bathroom.  There are doors on the stalls.  Its not like she is going to have a urinal installed in the girls bathroom.

sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Do you think the she will just walk around exposing her genitalia to all the other girls in there?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she has boy parts. Im sorry, but if i had a little girl, i would not want her exposed to that. I think the gender neutral bathroom will be just fine if shes against using the boys.

Quoting missymackie:

I don't see why they wouldn't let her use the female restroom

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fallenstars
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
This exactly

Quoting michiganmom5150:

Girls use stalls, so what 's the big deal?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree.  If the child has gone through or started puberty and still identifies as a girl then that's isn't going to change and parents should live with it.  But a young child...sorry kid you're going to wear the clothes that identify you by your sex in public.  One can buy gender neutral clothes, wear those to school and dresses at home if he wishes.  Frankly I'd take my child to a counselor to find out WHY he wants to be a girl and vice versa.

Quoting Anonymous:

I just don't get why the girl/boy's parents would allow this. I'm all for gay and transgendered rights, but I feel a child that young is unable to fully identify as an opposite gender.

If the parent's want to encourage her to be the opposite gender, let her use the teacher's bathroom. I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent being upset that their young child is being exposed to male genitalia.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

since she is in 1st grade and only 6 or 7, they are not the best at privacy. stall or not there is a chance, and it happens often where kids come out of the restroom with pants unzipped or pulling up their pants.

So, no i don't believe she should be allowed to use the girls bathroom. Schools have hundreds of kids to worry about, they can't worry about one single kid while forgetting about the rest of them.

garnet83
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Parents may not want their daughters to be uncomfortable if, for some reason, it's known or become known what is going on. That's extremely young for children to have to be exposed to that. I don't know that I would encourage this to begin with given where children this age are in their biological and psychosocial development. I do agree with the school though. Gender neutral restrooms are just fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I completely agree.  I would seek counseling immediately, not to "fix" my child, but to find out why he/she feels this way and go from there.  If my child came to me saying they felt they were truly the opposite gender, I would not say, "Oh snap!  Lets go get you some dresses, honey!"

Quoting MicheleJM:

I agree.  If the child has gone through or started puberty and still identifies as a girl then that's isn't going to change and parents should live with it.  But a young child...sorry kid you're going to wear the clothes that identify you by your sex in public.  One can buy gender neutral clothes, wear those to school and dresses at home if he wishes.  Frankly I'd take my child to a counselor to find out WHY he wants to be a girl and vice versa.

Quoting Anonymous:

I just don't get why the girl/boy's parents would allow this. I'm all for gay and transgendered rights, but I feel a child that young is unable to fully identify as an opposite gender.

If the parent's want to encourage her to be the opposite gender, let her use the teacher's bathroom. I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent being upset that their young child is being exposed to male genitalia.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Quoting sandra_t00:

Do you think the she will just walk around exposing her genitalia to all the other girls in there?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she has boy parts. Im sorry, but if i had a little girl, i would not want her exposed to that. I think the gender neutral bathroom will be just fine if shes against using the boys.

Quoting missymackie:

I don't see why they wouldn't let her use the female restroom

I am a teacher, smaller children are NOT the best at privacy. Many of them do not lock the door and it swings and even more come out with pants undone and/or pulling pants up.

I think at such a young age it wouldn't be wise to expose other children to it just yet. They wouldn't understand and as a school district they have to think about everyone as a whole; not just one child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)