Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

transgendered child using female restroom, even though he has male genitalia?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/index.html?fb_action_ids=3828885379370&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A145734982258074%7D&action_type_map=%7B%223828885379370%22%3A%22og.recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

This elementary school-aged child, who was born a boy but identifies as female, has dressed as female for quite a while, has been banned from using the female restrooms at school.  The school has offered to let the child use the gender neutral teachers' restrooms, or the nurse's restroom.

I'm just wondering what you think about this.  We don't have this issue at school, so I'm curious.  Would you be okay with a child that identifies as female, but has male genitalia, using the same restroom as your daughter?  Or vice versa?  Or is it more important to focus on, this child is female on the inside, so is it wrong for him/her (I'm not clear on terminology, I'm sorry) to use the male restroom?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sandra_t00:

Do you think the she will just walk around exposing her genitalia to all the other girls in there?

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she has boy parts. Im sorry, but if i had a little girl, i would not want her exposed to that. I think the gender neutral bathroom will be just fine if shes against using the boys.

Quoting missymackie:

I don't see why they wouldn't let her use the female restroom

I am a teacher, smaller children are NOT the best at privacy. Many of them do not lock the door and it swings and even more come out with pants undone and/or pulling pants up.

I think at such a young age it wouldn't be wise to expose other children to it just yet. They wouldn't understand and as a school district they have to think about everyone as a whole; not just one child.

How do YOU know what goes on in the bathroom? are you in there with them?

achorney
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The kids are in stalls. Way to traumatize a little kid.

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:42 AM

He/She should be in a stall, so what does it matter?

IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM

First grader? So he's 6 or 7? My 6 year old uses the womens room a lot because I refuse to let him in the men's room alone. But that's public, not school.

I can see why it wouldn't be allowed at school. I wouldn't want my daughter to get a glimpse of his penis.....talk about confusing her (seeing a girl with a penis would seriously confuse a child). But it would confuse the boys to see it as well.

Ugh. I don't know....lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
It doesnt matter what he thinks in his mind, physically hes still a he and needs to use boys bathroom or the one that the school provided for him. I agree with the school.
Billsbabygirl
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I don't want my little girl exposed to that. I think the gender neutral is a good idea.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I took my sons in the women's restroom with me at that age too, when in public.  But, I think there's a difference between taking your son with you to the womens' restroom in a public place and sending your son into the little girls' restroom at school.  I took my sons with me for safety, but what kind of safety do they need at school?

Quoting IncognitoOne:

First grader? So he's 6 or 7? My 6 year old uses the womens room a lot because I refuse to let him in the men's room alone. But that's public, not school.

I can see why it wouldn't be allowed at school. I wouldn't want my daughter to get a glimpse of his penis.....talk about confusing her (seeing a girl with a penis would seriously confuse a child). But it would confuse the boys to see it as well.

Ugh. I don't know....lol

Brendasbuzy
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

He/she and her parents are being open and honest about the way that she feels. The child has no control over this. She was born this way. As long as she is accepted by the other girls why not let her go to the same restroom with them. Besides how is she going to keep up on all the gossip that gets passed on in the rest room.This child needs love and understanding, by accepting her now it could prevent her from having serious problems in the future.Suggest the school  and anyone else who has a say or problems with this situation read and learn more about Gender Idenity Disorder. Light just one candle don't curse the darkness.

PhoenixMomof3
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
They wouldn't be exposed to anything more confusing than what they are seeing OUTSIDE the bathroom. If this kid is already dressing as a female yet the other kids know she was born male... parents should already be having conversations about acceptance and understanding. Going to the bathroom takes 60 seconds. Walking around the school takes hours. The bathroom is the least of the concerns especially considering they have stalls!

Kids are naturally the most understanding little human beings on the planet IF their parents are setting that example. Plus, "our" kids are bystanders to a monumental time in this child's life. Wouldn't you hope that even strangers would have compassion for your child if they were facing such challenges in their lives?

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

This exactly...last time I checked, girl bathrooms have stalls.  So, what would the little girls be exposed to exactly?

Quoting missymackie:

She wouldn't be exposed to anything, they go in stalls

Quoting Anonymous:

Because she has boy parts. Im sorry, but if i had a little girl, i would not want her exposed to that. I think the gender neutral bathroom will be just fine if shes against using the boys.

Quoting missymackie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting sandra_t00:

Do you think the she will just walk around exposing her genitalia to all the other girls in there?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting missymackie:

I am a teacher, smaller children are NOT the best at privacy. Many of them do not lock the door and it swings and even more come out with pants undone and/or pulling pants up.

I think at such a young age it wouldn't be wise to expose other children to it just yet. They wouldn't understand and as a school district they have to think about everyone as a whole; not just one child.

How do YOU know what goes on in the bathroom? are you in there with them?

Do you know how many pants I have to button or how many kids come rolling out the bathroom pulling their pants up?

I don't have to go into a bathroom to know what goes on in the bathroom. I hear it and see it everyday!

I think many of you who keep saying they have stalls, either have no clue what goes on in the bathrooms when little kids are in them; ALONE without mommy,  or have no clue because you have no clue what it's like to have a 6-7 year old, because you're still raising toddlers.

Children at that age are NOT the best about manners or privacy. So yes, I understand the schools decision; fully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN