Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sahm advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
so I'm a sahm with 3 kids. my oldest DS is 15 and attends online school, my DD is 11 and at a brick and mortar school my youngest DS is 3.
first of all- we can afford my being home so DH likes knowing I'm taking care of the kids and house while he's working. however I feel ive become just a mom. I love my kids and enjoy them tremendously but I'd love to work part time. just to get a bit of myself back. would I be wrong to send my lo to daycare once or twice a week while I look for work? what would you ladies do?- I worked full time until I became pregnant with my lo so I guess I'm missing it.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mary841108
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

i worked before kids and worked during...during didnt last long because i hated not being home when my kids needed me and hated knowing that my house wasn't being kept up on as good as it was when i was home so i quit. i thoroughly enjoy being home. I still have friends that i talk to daily and hang out with, actually waiting for one of them to come over for coffee in a bit lol so i never felt like i lost myself.

sheena696
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

You should do what makes you happy. If that means getting out of the house and working a little bit, then do it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

bump for you

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM

a couple hours a week will be good for lo!! get to interact with kids and play and have fun! It'll be good for you to find your sense of self again! Do it mama!

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Whatever you choose is not "wrong" if it is the right choice for your family!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Its your choice as for me I am a SAHM, and wish I could work, but I have a special needs child that needs constant supervision, I know he is at school but its those days when winter, spring, summer vacations come where it would be next to impossible to work.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM

No, I don't think you'd be wrong. Being a mother is doing what is best for your family unit. If working improves your mood/outlook and gives you back something you feel you've lost, and allows you to be a better mom when you are home, go for it!

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I wouldn't go back until your lo was in school, but that's me. We have 3 DD's, the oldest is 6 and the youngest is 18months. I won't even consider going back to school until they are all in school and even then SO and I have decided I will stay home.

BUT, if you are miserable and want to do something more than go do it! I don't think it will make you a horrible mother, just not something I would do.

VarelaClan
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I've been a SAHM since 2000. We also use online school. My kids are 12, 10, 6, and 2. I think having a hobby or girlfriends to hang out with are better solutions for me. I feel it works because those things can work around my kids' schedules. I don't HAVE to be somewhere like work on certain days at certain times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaggieO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I've done both: SAHM full-time and WOHM full-time.  I did not like either.  Now- I work part-time and mostly at home.  It works for me and my family.  I would also suggest finding things that you like to do such as volunteer once per week or join a book club or anything that is for you.  Being a mom is a wonderful job, but you have every right to have interests just for yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)