Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Confessions of a Real Stepmom OP in BLACK - EDIT 1 in RED - EDIT 2 in BLUE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
7 moms liked this

Here are my confessions - I'm bored at work, so at least until I have somethng to work on, I'm going to post my real stepmom confessions

Child support - I really could care less about child support.I'm not angry about it, I don't resent the money going out. I make my own money and support my self and my children. My husband was responsible enough to set up the child support to be garnished from his paycheck. We never see the money, so I don't really care about it. However, if my husband loses his job, I will not be paying child support. I have two children of my own to support, that are also DH's children.

Please tell me why I should take my income, and support my step daughter if my husband loses his job?? If he loses his job, is BM expected to take her income and support my children?? No - that's absurd. My children are also losing half of their income as is SD - fair is fair is fair right . I'm not going to take from my children

Visitation - I don't care how often your children are here visiting their father. My only rule is that she is not here when my husband is not. She does not repsect me as an adult in my home, she can go back to BM when her dad is unavailable.

Please tell me how SD would benefit from spending time with SM versus BF and BM ?? Alot of people have this stippulation put in their custody orders. Since it's coming from SM it's wrong right?

Custody - I do not want my husband to have custody of your child together. Most step moms don't. Most step moms are not child stealers and we are not forcing our husbands to file for more custody. When I met my husband, he made it clear that barring extraordinary circumstances, you would always have custody, and him visitation - That is what I signed up for.

What is so horrible about a BF saying that BM has always had custody and it's going to stay that way, and SM agreeing. There is no reason for custody to change hands

Loving your child - Ehh. I don't love my step daughter. I like her most of the time, but I don't love her. She is only here 4 days a month, and she is not my child. Not exactly enough time to get to know her and love her? My children love her, and my husband loves her -. I am her dads wife and the mother of her siblings

Nope, not even gonna lie. I don't love SD and I think it is creepy when NON CUSTODIAL step parents say they love their step child as their own, I barely know this kid - How can I love her? It would be different if she lived with us full time

Sick days - I did not have your child, and I barely know her. I've seen her about 100 times ever. I am not taking time off of work to sit with her when she is sick. She doesn't want me, she wants her mom or dad , one of you need to do it

Again, I am not sacrificing my income for a child that I have no legal rights to. What good can come of me staying home with sick SD??? I can't take her to the doctor if need be, I lose income, SD wants her mom, hell I'm 24 and still want my mom when I'm sick...

MY LIFE -

My money, my kids, my health, my marriage, my home, my kids school, my family, my job, my education, my anything is none of your business.

True true true

I do not concern myself with you, please keep your nose out of my business

True

26 days a month, I do not think about you at all. Except on the days that your child is in my home, you do not exist. I do not check your emails to my husband, texts, listen in on phone calls, intercept phone calls etc. I simply do not care about you and your life. I did not make this child, and anything pertaining to your child is between you and my husband.

What is wrong with a SM who minds their own damn business????

I may think of your child much more than 4 days a month. I would say I think of your child about 16-20 days a month. but that's only when I change the sheets on her bed, dust her room, buy her new stuff, pick out her favorite dinners to cook when she's over , plan family events, pick her chalk up out of the yard so it's not rained on- When I do the things that I do to make sure she is comfortable and enjoys her time with her dad ! That is important to me.

Yes, it is important to me that my husband and my step daughter enjoy their time together. Four days a month is not much, so I make sure that they can relax and enjoy eachothers company without having to worry about chores, or what's for dinner, or one of her items was ruined.. I make sure none of that happens and they can just have a good time

I'm a real step mom -

Any other step moms have any confessions ??

I figured I would update this - BM and I actually get along great! She stays out of my business, I stay out of hers. The first year was rough. She wasn't ready for her daughter to have another woman in her life and figured I would be a stereotypical SM without giving me a chance.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and based my opinion of her on my in law's shit talking. I viewed her as a typical money hungry BM ( the kind you see on TV )

We clashed alot, and eventually, we both fell into our roles. Her as the EX and the MOTHER - Me as the WIFE and the STEP mother

Her boyfriend plays pretty much the same role as I do, except, he has more of a relationship with SD because he lives with her 26 days a month, where as I only live with her 4 days a month.

All adults are happy and get along

The point of this post was more of a PSA - it's okay for step moms to feel this way. It's okay for some parents to be okay with being every other weekend parents. My husband accepts that BM is the better parent, just as he accepts that I am the better parent of our children.

He does not suck as a father. He's actually pretty good at being a dad, but mom's got it handled, why change it up on the kid?

It's okay for BM's to want SM to back off, but it's not okay for BM's to demand more involvement from SM. It's not okay for SM to stick her nose where it does not belong and it's not okay for BF to try to change things up on the kid just because he's got a new wife. It's not okay for BF to not pay child support, but if things happen, like the loss of a job, it's a great way to teach the child adaptability.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

You're probably going to get bashed, because on here, if you're a SM, you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't!

AF2011
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

First page!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

A little harsh but I understand where you are coming from. But still I am shocked my the I dont love you thing. In reality you do because you do those extra special things for her. 

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
7 moms liked this

I'm a real step mom and I adored my SS and he me. He lived with us for a period of time until he decided to go back and live with his mom (he was 16 when he came into my life). I am on good terms with his mother and her family. He called me mom and her momma. He died at 19 from sarcoma and I was there everyday at the end. Mom and dad even deferred to me for questions at some points, if they were both there and I wasn't he asked where I was. He wanted both of his moms and his dad. My favorite picture of him is on my desk, and I have a tattoo in his memory. I plan a family event for the weekend near the anniversary of his death and both sides of the family come together. He was, he is, he always will be, my son.

Not all step moms are like you. That is my step mom confession.

I.am.Betty
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this
wow, i am a step mom and i fell in love with step dd almost instantly. i didnt spend much time with her either. i love her as i love my own. i wish she were here more often and there is nothing i wouldnt do for her that i wouldnt do for my own children. you give step moms a bad name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a good way to keep ur sanity =) I took notes lol
cshepard
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I know people will bash but I think that's how sm's should be. This is pretty much how my ex's wife acts, I don't know her feelings but if I had to guess, I'd say they are close. But she does keep my kids when their dads not around (her choice) and I think she does love them (I'm not saying its wrong of you but, I think she truly loves them). We get along great and she communicates more than my ex does. Her choice again, I don't call her unless she's called first. I call my ex bc they are his kids and I don't feel she needs to deal with issues unless she choses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

wow hate to say it, but the reason she probably doesn't respect you is because you're kind of a bitchy stepmom. 

:/

if you show this attitude around her then she knows it. I mean damn.

Wow.

I would hate to have you as a stepmom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Confession of a stepmom

I love my bio kids more.

I love that the state is garnishing bio moms checks since she refuses to pay child support.

I love that ss hates you and refuses to see you

I am so glad you live clear across the country. 

Im a better mom than you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)