Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im sure my baby girl is gonna have to get glasses! *Edit*

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 30 Replies

My DD is 5, and Ive been noticing her having issues seeing without squinting, so today she and I both have eye doctor appointments. I just put an eye chart on my computer, and when I opened it and put the computer at my knees, from like 3 or 4 feet away, she can only read the first 5 lines :( poor baby girl...I know her pain, Ive had glasses since I was 6 and this is gonna be fun getting her to take care of them 

Edit: So we went to the eye doc and DD has an astigmatism in both eyes just like I do, BUT she wouldnt cooperate with the doctor so she referred us to a child optometrist. So as soon as they call me back once they recieve the referral, then I'll take her in to get an accurate script. 

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My daughter had to have glasses at 6. It wasn't too bad.
missamanda86
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Thats when I got mine and I broke 3 pairs in the first year lol! I have to teach her how to take care of them. Ive had contacts for over a year but Im getting glasses and maybe with mine I can show her how to properly take care of them

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter had to have glasses at 6. It wasn't too bad.

opal10161973
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I made sure to buy two pairs, one to stay at school and one to stay at home.  It works better than worrying about her breaking them during transport at that age.  If she does need them all the time and that won't work, the next best thing would be a strap that goes around the back of the head- maybe she could pick out a pretty one that she will like.  I have found that the more I let DD5 choose things like this, the more she is willing to use them.  DD picked out both pairs of her glasses, too. 

KKmommy3

Mine has had glasses and/or contacts since she was 2 months old. :0(

5 seems like an age where I notice lots of kids with glasses.  I am sure she will be fine.   Just hope you don't have to deal with patching, that is a doosey.

opal10161973

Oh and don't forget insurance on the glasses.  LOL

missamanda86
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

She would like that. My poor children have horrible genes in the eye department. Both of my parents and grandparents and both of my siblings have glasses...its inevitable for my kids lol

Quoting opal10161973:

I made sure to buy two pairs, one to stay at school and one to stay at home.  It works better than worrying about her breaking them during transport at that age.  If she does need them all the time and that won't work, the next best thing would be a strap that goes around the back of the head- maybe she could pick out a pretty one that she will like.  I have found that the more I let DD5 choose things like this, the more she is willing to use them.  DD picked out both pairs of her glasses, too. 

missamanda86
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Oh man :( thats gotta be hard

Quoting KKmommy3:

Mine has had glasses and/or contacts since she was 2 months old. :0(

5 seems like an age where I notice lots of kids with glasses.  I am sure she will be fine.   Just hope you don't have to deal with patching, that is a doosey.

missamanda86
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Haha oh for sure! Shes as rough and tumble as I was and I broke three the first year I had them (I was 6) and I swear my mom was gonna kick my butt lol!

Quoting opal10161973:

Oh and don't forget insurance on the glasses.  LOL

KKmommy3
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM

buy them at For Eyes or somewhere that you can get 2 for $99. And opt for the service plan or whatever they call it, so they can replace them if they break or get scratched.  Most places also usually replace those nose thingys and do adjustment for free.  Heck I visit our local shop almost monthly for a  fix up.

GingerGeek
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Mine started wearing glasses at 2.  She never broke a pair of glasses.  Now she is 10 and just got her first pair of contacts and is loving them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)