Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone have experience with dealing with a bipolar person? *EDIT* update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

I have a friend that I've known for about 5 years. Well, from time to time she spirals. I can always tell when she has hit a bad cycle in her life. When I first met her, she was doing great. But sometimes her meds stop working and she self-medicates. Sometimes I would hear from her it seemed daily. She'll even come over to my house obsessively sometimes. Then suddenly, it'll just stop. The visits, the texts, the phone calls-everything will just stop. I know it's not my job to worry about her, but she has attempted suicide once before one day when I had her kids. That's part of the reason why I'm afraid just to show up at her house, because I'm afraid of what I might find like last time. I seem to hear from her more when she's manic than when she's depressed. I know I can't take her problems on, being that I have my own life and family, but I can't help but feel guilty if I wasn't around and she needed a friend, only I didn't know it  because she seemed to drop off the face of the earth. Is this normal? Do people that are bipolar tend to isolate more? Should I just leave well enough alone? My husband gets a little concerned when I hang out with her, or when I'm worried for her. But I tell him he doesn't get what a good person and friend she is when she isn't on a downward spiral.  

Thanks for all the advice. Everyone's input was so helpful. I called her yesterday and heard from her FINALLY. My intuition was right. The good news is she's ok now. The bad news is that she did attempt to take her life again, she overdosed on her antidepressant. But she was fortunate, her husband took her to the hospital in time. She didn't wake up for three days, hallicinated terribly and was belligerent to the staff and was sent to our city's behavioral hospital for a week and a half, but they managed to get her meds straight. (Yay!)She was very thankful for the stay in the more lenient behavioral hospital (they can smoke outside). It was a relief given her past experiences with hospital triage.

She was so positive. She wasn't scattered. She had counseling appointments when I talked to her. She seemed less concerned with herself and more with her children. And this is silly, but she also mentioned a restaurant that she eats at when she goes to her meetings. I was so happy! The girl NEVER eats. She was actually raving about a Mexican restaurant. Anyhow, sorry to go on and on, I just hadn't heard from her in a long time. She did not sound overly anxious like she does when her meds aren't working or when she's using. Thanks again for all your helpful advice and info.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annhart19
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
My husband is bipolar!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting annhart19:

My husband is bipolar!

do his meds ever stop working?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm bipolar, and she is acting "normal" .  One of the main symptoms of depression is withdrawal from people.  Don't blame yourself btw.  She is struggling with a difficult mental illness adn that is not your fault.  You did not fail her, the mental illness did.  Keep encouraging her to see a doctor and get on the right meds, it can take a long time to find the right cocktail.  If one med didn't work she has to keep trying until they find the right mixture.

That is very frustrating for the patient.  The meds make you sick.  Constantly changing them is difficult on the mind and body.  No normal person can go through med changes and not feel like it isn't worth it.  But so much is at stake.

I'm sorry you are going through this, I'm sure ti's hard to watch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
it is common what she is doing.
AleaKat
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
My sister is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My mother is biolar and she uses it as an excuse for the horrible things that she does.  She is no longer a part of my life.

srhea1000
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I'm bipolar and yes, I tend to stay away from everyone, including family, when I am low or feeling down.  I don't want to talk or be around people at all.  I am medicated and always take my meds like I'm supposed to.  But you're right.  Sometimes they quit working and I have to change it up.  I never self medicate though.

lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I am bipolar. The only time it gets bad is when i am off my medication. I chose (with my doctors ok) to stop taking my medication during my pregnancy so it has been very hard these past months. I isolate to the point where i get anxiety to even leave the house.

However in my experience, when following my medication plan and any therapy appointments i may have, i am completely fine. Personally I don't believe meds just stop working, some people stop taking them because they feel they are better (when in reality it's just that the medication is working). However maybe a new medication is in order.
I would be concerned but don't let it consume you. You can only do so much. Is there any family of hers you can voice your concerns to?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NiCo86
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM

As a bi polar, I can say, yes, these cycles are totally normal. When I am manic, i am more jovial, more sociable. When I am down I just want to sleep and be left alone, I can stay in the house for DAYS and be just fine with it, other times if I'm not GO GO GO GO GO I don't feel satisfied.

It is great of you to care about her so much. The only thing that I can recommend, is to reach out to her. Texting/calling goes both ways. If you are thinking of her, shoot her a quick text "just thinking about you, hope things are good".

Have you done any online research to learn more about her condition?

annhart19
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Um I've never seen it. He rarely takes his meds anyway. He's doing rly good without them. He has bad days. But usually he's not too bad.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting annhart19:

My husband is bipolar!

do his meds ever stop working?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)