Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bill collector help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
We just got a letter from a bill collector saying that DH owes $376.92 to a cellphone company. The problem is, we've NEVER had a cellphone with this company- EVER.
When we call about it how do we go about working this out?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I'd be asking DH some questions.  Cellphone companies don't just create bills and send them to random people at their homes.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I KNOW he's never had a cellphone with this company, 100% positive.
We DID have a cellphone with Virgin Mobile but we paid that bill off and canceled the contract to go pre-paid. However, the company that sent us the bill was Bell Mobility.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd be asking DH some questions.  Cellphone companies don't just create bills and send them to random people at their homes.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

could they have merged?  Did Bell Mobility buy out Virgin Mobile?

Quoting Anonymous:

I KNOW he's never had a cellphone with this company, 100% positive.
We DID have a cellphone with Virgin Mobile but we paid that bill off and canceled the contract to go pre-paid. However, the company that sent us the bill was Bell Mobility.

Quoting Anonymous:

NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Identity theft?

meaganmac
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
I do believe Bell owns Virgin, so it could be legit. It could also just be a mistake. You won't know until you call and find out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Sometimes companies are bought out and when they send out notices you get a bill with the new company name with the original owed amount. Find out if dh owes any phone company any money. Could be be an old bill from before you. If he has no other bill then contact them and ask fir any and all info they have. And then file a dispute.
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Call and deny that it is yours. Get your credit report and make sure nothing else comes up. We've had issues with dh's father's bills ending up on his credit report. Thankfully, we get them removed.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Could be that Bell Mobility is the parent company for Virgin Mobile.  Easy way to tell is to compare the account number for the original account with the account number for your Virgin Mobile bills.  Otherwise you won't know until you contact them.  If it is the parent company, then fixing it could be as easy as mailing them proof of your final payment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN