Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I an so tired if giving step by step instructions!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
my ds is 6. I have to give him detailed step by microstep instructions to do ANYTHING! its driving.me nuts! its so bad if I tell.him to get dressed I have to stand over him and say "take off your pajama shirt, take off your pajama pants, get a pair of clean undies from the drawer, take off the dirty undies put the clean ones on, get a pair of pants out of the drawer, put them on, button them, zip them, get a clean shirt put it on, get socks, put one on, now the other. a simple get dressed should do but no I might as well get him dressed myself because itwould save me 20 minutes of fight in the morning. he cant do anything out of order (putting gloves on before zipping coat. he will have to take his coat off and his gloves then put his coat back on zip it and put his gloves on. just now he wanted to play with a toy that needed to be plugged in. I told him how to do it and where the plug was 15 times! it drives me nuts!!!n
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
bump
christina0607
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Stop enabling him. Tell him to to get dressd and if he won't follow through with punishment.

for me it would be as simple as if you aren't ready when it's time to go you go exactly how you are. 

Why would you tell him 15 times? you're doing this to yourself. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Repetition...kids love it, even if it drives us nuts telling them over and over & over again......
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Why not make a picture chart that details what he needs to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Take pictures of him doing the things he is supposed to. Tape them up in his room. Tell him to follow the pictures. End of fights. No more enabling. If he's not ready or skipped a step, he still has to leave the house.....Make sure to follow through otherwise all effort is lost.

LeahJ
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
This. How does he do in school? Presumably his teacher doesn't follow him around all day doing that.

Quoting christina0607:

Stop enabling him. Tell him to to get dressd and if he won't follow through with punishment.

for me it would be as simple as if you aren't ready when it's time to go you go exactly how you are. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM
there are two austic kids in his class so she does give step by step instructions for those kids. she is also very repetitive.

Quoting LeahJ:

This. How does he do in school? Presumably his teacher doesn't follow him around all day doing that.

Quoting christina0607:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Hmm, idk.  I don't know any kids who do that.  He probably does it just to aggravate you.  My two year old dresses himself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM
he would be going to school in his underware daily.

Quoting christina0607:

christina0607
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM

ok. If that what it took for him to grow up....it wouldn't take long. 

Quoting Anonymous:

he would be going to school in his underware daily.

Quoting christina0607:

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)