Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Transgender .... Thoughts on this story

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 226 Replies
School says 6-year-old transgender girl cannot use girl’s restroom
17 hours ago
FOUNTAIN, Colo. — Inside her Colorado Springs home, surrounded by painted walls in her favorite color, you get a tiny glimpse into the soul of Coy Mathis.

“I got my girl scout pin”, said Mathis as she played in her bedroom.

It’s a view shared by her since she was born. Jeremy and Kathryn Mathis saw things, heard things, that told them Coy was different.

“(She liked) anything pink and sparkly,” said Coy’s mother. “We noticed at 18 months.”

What the Mathis’ couldn’t explain, Coy eventually did. “They’re saying I’m a boy when I’m really a girl,” she says.

In 2006, Coy Mathis was born a boy, the first of three triplets.

“When she finally was able to tell us “I’m a girl” things didn’t change, we were just clued in to who she was,” said her father, Jeremy.

Inside their Fountain, Colo. home with five children, compassion is key, even when there is disagreement.

It’s a rule the family says they have learned not everyone practices, not even those who run Coy’s elementary school Eagle Side near Colorado Springs.

“Nobody wants a difficult world for their child. You want them to have the easiest path and that’s probably not going to happen for Coy,” said her mom.

The difficulties started two years ago when Coy’s path collided with her maturing thoughts and questions.

“She just kept crying and said she was scared that she was going to grow up and have a beard and a hairy chest and everybody would know she was born a boy,” said Kathryn.

Her parents hoped kindergarten would help her start her new life.

For over a year she attended school as a girl. She blossomed until January when things changed, “Because the school is just being mean to me,” Coy said.

“They told us our options were to use the nurse’s bathroom, the boy’s bathroom or the staff bathroom,” her mom said.

The family has taught Coy that’s unacceptable.

“The nurse’s bathroom is just for people that are sick,” she said.

Days later Jeremy and Kathryn started home-schooling their children.

They say while the school may know a lot about teaching reading writing and arithmetic, they know very little about teaching tolerance.

“They’re creating a giant divide and that’s a huge loss for the school because they have a really good opportunity for their students. They’re using it as a way to discriminate instead,” Kathryn said.

The Fountain/Fort Carson school district declined to comment on this story since the family intends to pursue legal action.

The Mathis’ attorney, Michael Silverman, says this case will be a big test for Colorado’s Anti-Discrimination act and how it affects transgender students.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM
8 moms liked this
It is discrimination. And it is sad. Yeah, people can claim whatever they want but, she knows her own mind. In the grand scheme of things this little girl is going to need years of therapy, no matter how every step of her life is handled. I wish she lived in a world where people saw gender as a fluid continuum rather than a black and white check box. But, they don't. The most we can hope for is parents that will support her and makes sure she gets the services she needs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM
9 moms liked this

First of all, he is not a `she'.  He should most  definitely be using the boys bathroom at this age.  I'm not  confident  that  such a young child would be convinced that such confusion existed in the first place.  While I have no proof of this, I wonder how much of this is the parents doing.  They are suing.  Attention whores to satisfy an agenda.

delilahsmom1177
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I agree. My DD is taught..there is no black or wwhite, men or women, at or skinny etc etc...THERE ARE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

It is discrimination. And it is sad. Yeah, people can claim whatever they want but, she knows her own mind. In the grand scheme of things this little girl is going to need years of therapy, no matter how every step of her life is handled. I wish she lived in a world where people saw gender as a fluid continuum rather than a black and white check box. But, they don't. The most we can hope for is parents that will support her and makes sure she gets the services she needs.

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

delilahsmom1177
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM
2 moms liked this

SHE IS A GIRL WITH THE WRONG BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

First of all, he is not a `she'.  He should most  definitely be using the boys bathroom at this age.  I'm not  confident  that  such a young child would be convinced that such confusion existed in the first place.  While I have no proof of this, I wonder how much of this is the parents doing.  They are suing.  Attention whores to satisfy an agenda.

I'm a tattooed,bisexual,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/us/colorado-transgender-girl-school/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

link to the story that I read about this.
I was just about to post about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM
12 moms liked this

This child is a boy.  Until he reaches adulthood and determines if  a surgery is necessary, no one should be forced to permit him in the ladies room.  And I certainly would not want him in my DD locker room around the time of puberty.  He has no right to be there.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm torn on this one.

While it's great to support your child and be accepting of them, I don't know if a child fully understands at such a young age the whole identity issue.  Technically speaking, Coy is still a "he" even if Coy identifies as a "she."  He should still be using the boys' bathroom.  At that age, other kids are not going to understand this identity issue and at an age where you are teaching your kids about sexual predators and body parts and privacy, I think it may be detrimental to little girls to just allow him to use the girls' bathroom.

I don't know...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Seriously speaking, show me a legitimate scientific basis for your argument. 

Quoting delilahsmom1177:

SHE IS A GIRL WITH THE WRONG BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Cbreland07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm sorry but I don't believe he should use the girls bathroom.. The fact is he is physically a boy and should therefore use the boy bathroom or one of the others the school said he could use.. Not going to debate.. It's my opinion and won't change
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

"she" still has a penis, and therefore, should use the bathroom at their elementary school that is made for people with a penis.

I am not trying to be mean, but unless the schools want to tear out bathrooms and make them so that they are ALL individual (and stalls aren't very private)... then penises in one and vaginas in another.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)