Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

work places testing for nicotine

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not gonna lie, i smoke, and have for 10 years (almost). well, my company is now testing for nicotine and if you fail (regardless the source) they are charging a surcharge. however, there IS a catch. they are ONLY requiring those who have medical coverage under this company. they are also requiring a biometric screening for covered employees, those who (also) do not submit are being charged a surcharge.

now here is my problem........they are not requiring ALL employees to submit to this testing like they would a drug test. only those who have HEALTH.

would that not be considered discrimination?

and for employees who don't have coverage else where are REQUIRED to take the company's health insurance. is that even legal? that's the ONLY reason i'm still on it, cause i have no other options and they require us to have it-trust me, i'm looking for an affordable private insurance.

and my next question, how can they hold nicotine against people when it's still legal? and it doesn't matter the source of nicotine. ecigs, patches, etc are all "failed test". i get if they want a "smoke free work place" ok so then ban smoking from company property.

now before anyone goes on to say and bash for me to just quit, i'm working on that part, that's not the point. a nicotine addiction is worse than crack......clinically proven

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sasha-
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I have issues with that, in florida its because the hospital want to lead by example and be in good health.  So next are they going to fire obese people?  I mean after all they know what they put in their bodies and they choose not to excersize so should they be fired as well? 

Quoting Anonymous:

My hospital in Texas is doing the same thing they just cant figure out how to enforce it just yet. But we have been told we will be fired for it.

Quoting Sasha-:

More companies are doing this,  even not offering a job if you smoke.  There is a hospital in Florida I think that if you smoke they will fire you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

No it is not discrimination.  You can choose to follow the rules, or you can choose employment elsewhere.  With your line of thinking you could say a speeding ticket is discrimination because it discriminates against speeders.  That is ridiculous reasoning.

There are certain civil rights.  You do not have a civil right to get health insurance at loct even when your rish is high. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Smokers are a higher risk, which makes a HUGE liability. Which is why your premiums are higher and sometime denied covereage completely. Yes, it is fair and legal.  Quit.

baquick
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
At my job when you hit 90 days and qualify for insurance they ask if your a smoker. If you are you have to sit through a video and your premium is a little higher.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emerald.forest
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Then they should charge everyone extra. Do they not realize all the crap that's in our air? It's just as bad.
winkyloafer
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM
I don't think it'd be fair, seeing that many foods contain nicotine naturally and can be detected. Granted it isn't as high of a level as it is in cigarettes but it is detectable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM
If they are supplying health care, they want to know who is a higher risk. I don't think it's discrimination. You can opt out of your company's health care and not be subject to the test.
angie944
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yep... its not worth it to smoke anymore... I smoked for 10 years, quit back in November.. I feel great, and saving A LOT of money not smoking.  There are jobs here in my town that test you for nicotine before they even look at your resume... It's not a smoker friendly world anymore... You are better off without the cancer sticks! =)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM
At my last job, the company paid for your insurance (except you paid the deductible) if you were a nonsmoker and exercised for so many hours a week. If you smoked and/or didn't exercise, you had to pay out of your paycheck for the insurance. It was a certain amount for each one. They didn't test you though.

They had you sign a paper for it. The paper said that if you lied, you would get fired for dishonesty.
paknari
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM
A lot of insurance companies are doing this for things other than smoking also. My boss has to complete certain medical tests yearly now in order to keep her insurance. If she doesnt do it she goes down a tier and pays new for less coverage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN