Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

work places testing for nicotine

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not gonna lie, i smoke, and have for 10 years (almost). well, my company is now testing for nicotine and if you fail (regardless the source) they are charging a surcharge. however, there IS a catch. they are ONLY requiring those who have medical coverage under this company. they are also requiring a biometric screening for covered employees, those who (also) do not submit are being charged a surcharge.

now here is my problem........they are not requiring ALL employees to submit to this testing like they would a drug test. only those who have HEALTH.

would that not be considered discrimination?

and for employees who don't have coverage else where are REQUIRED to take the company's health insurance. is that even legal? that's the ONLY reason i'm still on it, cause i have no other options and they require us to have it-trust me, i'm looking for an affordable private insurance.

and my next question, how can they hold nicotine against people when it's still legal? and it doesn't matter the source of nicotine. ecigs, patches, etc are all "failed test". i get if they want a "smoke free work place" ok so then ban smoking from company property.

now before anyone goes on to say and bash for me to just quit, i'm working on that part, that's not the point. a nicotine addiction is worse than crack......clinically proven

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Check into how it is being offered. If its the health insurance who will be doing the testing, and the surcharge will be added to your insurance costs, then its pretty standard. If its the company themselves and THEY will be charging you, aka its not added in with insurance, it will be deemed discrimination if someone fights it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Exactly! And how is it they plan to enforce it. And how much money are you really saving by testing everyone, pissing people off so they quit, having to offer incentive pays to current employees and higher pay to new ones, so on and so on. They are claiming lead by example and they know that is bs. lol I was talking to one of our patients the other day about it and he was genuinely disturbed by the entire thing! On top of mandating the flu shot as well. He said he wanted to start going elsewhere because he didn't want "a bunch of commies deciding his treatment..." and he was dead serious! lol cant say I agree but bet they didn't see that one coming!

Now I am ok with a surcharge on insurance as long as it isnt outrageous and an obvious attempt to make you quit BUT they also need to do it on other unhealthy groups and ENCOURAGE healthy habits vs threatening only.

Quoting Sasha-:

I have issues with that, in florida its because the hospital want to lead by example and be in good health.  So next are they going to fire obese people?  I mean after all they know what they put in their bodies and they choose not to excersize so should they be fired as well? 

Quoting Anonymous:

My hospital in Texas is doing the same thing they just cant figure out how to enforce it just yet. But we have been told we will be fired for it.

Quoting Sasha-:

More companies are doing this,  even not offering a job if you smoke.  There is a hospital in Florida I think that if you smoke they will fire you.

Sasha-
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

"Now I am ok with a surcharge on insurance as long as it isnt outrageous and an obvious attempt to make you quit BUT they also need to do it on other unhealthy groups and ENCOURAGE healthy habits vs threatening only." 

Totally agree with that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly! And how is it they plan to enforce it. And how much money are you really saving by testing everyone, pissing people off so they quit, having to offer incentive pays to current employees and higher pay to new ones, so on and so on. They are claiming lead by example and they know that is bs. lol I was talking to one of our patients the other day about it and he was genuinely disturbed by the entire thing! On top of mandating the flu shot as well. He said he wanted to start going elsewhere because he didn't want "a bunch of commies deciding his treatment..." and he was dead serious! lol cant say I agree but bet they didn't see that one coming!

Now I am ok with a surcharge on insurance as long as it isnt outrageous and an obvious attempt to make you quit BUT they also need to do it on other unhealthy groups and ENCOURAGE healthy habits vs threatening only.

Quoting Sasha-:

I have issues with that, in florida its because the hospital want to lead by example and be in good health.  So next are they going to fire obese people?  I mean after all they know what they put in their bodies and they choose not to excersize so should they be fired as well? 

Quoting Anonymous:

My hospital in Texas is doing the same thing they just cant figure out how to enforce it just yet. But we have been told we will be fired for it.

Quoting Sasha-:

More companies are doing this,  even not offering a job if you smoke.  There is a hospital in Florida I think that if you smoke they will fire you.

heresjohnny
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I have issues with it because it's a VERY slippery slope. They are charging extra for something completely legal. What's next? Are they going to follow you to the grocery store to see what you put in your cart? You want to eat a donut? Pay extra! Sugar and carbs are the leading cause of diabetes, so it's not that far of a stretch.

mommaleela
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:13 PM

This just gives me the red ass.  Nicotene is legal and until it's outlawed WTH?  You don't have to smoke to get your hit.  My old boss was as addicted to the gum as I was to the actual smoke.  I've tried to quit SO many times.  I hate smoking, but I am truly hooked.  Overweight people are next.  It makes me angry.  I want to make an intelligent argument, but I'm just angry and can't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

ok i've read some replies and here's my catch. for those that said quit smoking I'M WORKING ON THAT i DID mention that in the original post btw.

i can see the views in comments stated here, however, here's my view. nicotine is LEGAL, if it were ILLEGAL then ok test, if i fail, then fire me.

as far as opting out of the care, trust me I WOULD but my employer has a statment and enforces that if we dont' have other coverage, we HAVE to take their insurance...........i'm not sure if that is even legal or i would've opted out YEARS ago.

and i thought, ok, you know i DO need to quit, so i'll go to vaping, which i'm still transitioning to, but even THAT is considered "tobacco" according to what i read today. in short ANY nicotine, no matter the source is considered "failed" to them.

I was there for the most recent meetings but in the last meetings i went to, they said it's a seperate "charge" for those who do not submit to a biometric screening, and those who do reveal they smoke..50 PER test. if you choose to not cooperate, you are auto charged, and this is PER PERSON on the insurance coverage.

and in reality, any smoker will tell you that it's harder when they are stressed...i know it is for me. so instead of penalizing the smokers they should offer incentatives, like free assistance, or x long without a cigarette you get x incentative and for those wanting to lose weight, every 5 lbs lost, you get x incentative. it doesn't have to be $ but make people WANT to quit, and get healthy, you force them to, they will rebel

opal10161973
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

They won't even offer people a job at the hospital system here.  And yes, they WILL fire you, if you test positive for nicotine. 

Quoting Sasha-:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Quoting opal10161973:

They won't even offer people a job at the hospital system here.  And yes, they WILL fire you, if you test positive for nicotine. 

i honestly don't see how they can do that without beind sued for wrongful termination. honestly if i lost my job because i smoke, i'd be filing a lawsuit ESPECIALLY where i'm at. i've been there 6.5 years, and have openly smoked the ENTIRE time

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

wonder how many people will pitch a fit when they test for alcohol levels

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

It's not discrimination. Companies are offering a better rate for those who are in better health. Smoking is a known cause of significant health problems, so insuring a smoker is more expensive than insuring a non smoker, statistically speaking. The state of NC started this a few years ago, a former friend totally flipped out about it....your rate, if you were in good health, healthy BMI, and no smoking, they would cover 90%....if you smoked, you lost 10%, if you were overweight, you lost 10%--they gave everyone two years notice of the policy change.  She didn't lose weight or quit smoking so they cover only 70% of her medical.  It's a cost saving meaure and it's completely legal. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)