Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

work places testing for nicotine

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm not gonna lie, i smoke, and have for 10 years (almost). well, my company is now testing for nicotine and if you fail (regardless the source) they are charging a surcharge. however, there IS a catch. they are ONLY requiring those who have medical coverage under this company. they are also requiring a biometric screening for covered employees, those who (also) do not submit are being charged a surcharge.

now here is my problem........they are not requiring ALL employees to submit to this testing like they would a drug test. only those who have HEALTH.

would that not be considered discrimination?

and for employees who don't have coverage else where are REQUIRED to take the company's health insurance. is that even legal? that's the ONLY reason i'm still on it, cause i have no other options and they require us to have it-trust me, i'm looking for an affordable private insurance.

and my next question, how can they hold nicotine against people when it's still legal? and it doesn't matter the source of nicotine. ecigs, patches, etc are all "failed test". i get if they want a "smoke free work place" ok so then ban smoking from company property.

now before anyone goes on to say and bash for me to just quit, i'm working on that part, that's not the point. a nicotine addiction is worse than crack......clinically proven

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
megshepherd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I do think it's discrimination, charge people who drink alcohol, and over eat too, people who do anything that negatively affects their health...then it would be fair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

One major problem people fail to include when discussing a recession is the factthat businesses have the ability to pretty much do whatever the hell they want because anyone who fails to comply can hit the road and 1000 people will be applying for the vacant job the next day.  Get used to it, it's only going to get worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting megshepherd:

I do think it's discrimination, charge people who drink alcohol, and over eat too, people who do anything that negatively affects their health...then it would be fair.

those that don't excercise regularly, or pay their medical bills cause they can't' afford to, or get pregnant when it's not in their budget too, hell, why dont' they just take over my livign style.....they are already sticking their nose in my personal business, might as well tell me what i can and can't eat, hell why not mandate a bed time

lol all that affects our health.............better eat an apple a day and if you don't you'll be charged a surcharge

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Bad drivers pay more for car insurance, why shouldn't people with deadly habits or unhealthy lifestyles (both proven to cause higher premiums) pay more?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I am not a smoker, but shouldn't they also raise premiums on the obese. If you are going to Target high risk groups, America is full of obese people with multiple risk factors.
kelly617
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Absolutely legal...
People at high risk pay higher insurance..my dad has diabetes so his insurance costs more than my mom's....thats just how it is

So someone like you that smokes costs the company more in insurance than someone that doesn't

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I understand that, but as a 47 year old women that smokes a pack a week and stands at 5'2 and weights 105 lbs, BP 90/60,  very physically fit, excellent blood sugar, low cholesterolreadings -- why should I be singled out and automatically held to a higher premium?  I'm in good shape.  I see my general MD once a year to have the bloodwork done and that's pretty much it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

At my company it's the medical insurance company who requires nicotine tests, BMI. and waist/hip ratio.  Refuse or have bad stats and your rates go up.  It's like a life insurance company saying you have a heart condition so your life insurance rates will be high.  Insurance is run by the actuaries.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Speeding is illegal

Smoking cigarettes is not; nor should it be.   

Quoting Anonymous:

No it is not discrimination.  You can choose to follow the rules, or you can choose employment elsewhere.  With your line of thinking you could say a speeding ticket is discrimination because it discriminates against speeders.  That is ridiculous reasoning.

There are certain civil rights.  You do not have a civil right to get health insurance at low cost even when your risk is high.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:10 PM

There are people where I work who are a bit over in BMI, but healthy in every other way and their cost increases.  It's the wave of the future.  I quit smoking forever ago because I refuse to spend that kind of cash to commit suicide.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I understand that, but as a 47 year old women that smokes a pack a week and stands at 5'2 and weights 105 lbs, BP 90/60,  very physically fit, excellent blood sugar, low cholesterolreadings -- why should I be singled out and automatically held to a higher premium?  I'm in good shape.  I see my general MD once a year to have the bloodwork done and that's pretty much it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

At my company it's the medical insurance company who requires nicotine tests, BMI. and waist/hip ratio.  Refuse or have bad stats and your rates go up.  It's like a life insurance company saying you have a heart condition so your life insurance rates will be high.  Insurance is run by the actuaries.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Speeding is illegal

Smoking cigarettes is not; nor should it be.   

Quoting Anonymous:

No it is not discrimination.  You can choose to follow the rules, or you can choose employment elsewhere.  With your line of thinking you could say a speeding ticket is discrimination because it discriminates against speeders.  That is ridiculous reasoning.

There are certain civil rights.  You do not have a civil right to get health insurance at low cost even when your risk is high.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:14 PM

At my company they are requiring flu shots too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I wont comply. Ill claim its against my religion. Then if I'm penalized....I'll press charges

Quoting Anonymous:

At my company they are requiring flu shots too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)