Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My confession..I started homeschooling... This is why.. Tell me if you would have done the same?!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

I started homeschooling because the School my son went to wouldn't help him. He was failing math all 4 quarters last year, Failed science from second quarter on.. And by last quarter his social studies and Language arts was at 65's..

From week 5 on I begged for him to be put into remedial math for help.. NOPE.. The teacher kept saying "He just needs to try harder.." Each night we would do extra pages I printed off the computer from the Internet.. Because they didn't even have books.. She would simply print off ditto's for the class to work on..

I called a cse Meeting 3 times.. That didn't help either as they never communicated and atleast once canceled the meeting with out telling me or rescheduling one..

Then the final straw hit.. At the end of the the year I was sure they would hold him back so he could learn the material. NOPE! The teacher even told me.. I gave him the numerical grade so he could pass.. I WENT BELISTIC.. I wanted to punch her.. So they passed him from 3rd grade to 4th and guaranteed that he would not be able to do the work then either..

So I litterally went to the next PTA meeting told them in writing and passed out 100 packets to parents and teachers that were there on why the school failed my son and why I was pulling him from their care!

In the time since June..(I started him immediately in math to catchup) He has gone from 2nd grade comprehension of math - to doing some 6th grade work.. According to the public schools own testing... WHY? Because since my son had AN IEP.. They have used this to try to keep tabs on what I was teaching and how he was progressing. Under the guise that they were "worried about him falling behind." Which he had fallen behind with them.. so I know that is BULL CRAP!

But his reading comprehension has gone up..

His Social studies has been slowwww but in every other area he has made huge strides..

And I honestly like that they did the testing.. It proves to them that the problem wasn't with my son or me.. It was the school district screwing up!

I use www.clp.org

They are the christian version of Saxon .. I love the cyclical learning methods.. It ensures that the kids revisit each area frequently enough to not forget it..

Also I like the Language arts from clp.org..

SCIENCE AND READING from there aren't my favorite.. I like Christian Liberty Press's science and reading stuff!

Well there are many things different with what I am doing compared to the school..

1) I am using a cyclical learning curriculum. Which means that once a child is taught something they #1 have to master it.. meaning they have to get at minimum an 80% before they can move on to the next lessons.. And also that the lessons they have learned before will be weaved into the current day's lesson.. EX 

My son's math work book has 5 sections for him to do daily..

Skill building: WHICH IS THE NEW STUFF FOR THE DAY

We Remember: Which is stuff from atleast 3 lessons ago.. And they show how that thing is needed to figure out the current day's lesson... Ex Fractions are needed for working with decimals.. 

Fact Focus: Which is the basics.. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division.. Plus sometimes measuring or conversions from Metric to Standared measurements.

Mental Math:  Where he is asked to estimate the numbers or use educated guess's as a way to both get ball park averages of an answer.. then he does the real problem and sees how close his estimation was.. 

Speed drills: Basically mad minuites where he has to try to get x amount of problems done in 2 mins. He loves the challange of trying to get more right this time than the last time..

He can do this with as much or as little time as he needs.. ex IN PUBLIC SCHOOL.. 30-45 mins for math.. is all they can have.. If my son needs 2 hours for math today.. and 14 mins for math tomorrow because he understood one and not the other.. HE CAN DO THAT.. Our schedule is flexible.. as he is the only one I am worried about.... I don't have 30 kids.. kwim?!

Also I have rewards for Joshua to earn. His teachers had some.. but usually they were pretty junky things like a pez dispencer.. which didn't come with any candy.. MINE.. Well he earns points daily for any 100's.. or a full card on the speed drills.. each earn him 25 points.. The reward? I buy him a season pass to Six flags for the summer.. or 300 points earns him $10 at the toy store..

Plus he isn't being teased for having Aspergers and styming.. so he has no negative peer pressure.. kwim?!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

BUMP!

livric
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

sounds like you are doing great mama!!  :)  I am glad you stood up for your DS :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I wouldn't homeschool.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM
I'm probably going to have to do this for my son :(
jen2150
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I started homeschooling from preschool age and up.  We are still going strong.  Our story is completely different.  My boys are in 3rd and 5th grade.  I know many moms that share your same story though.  I personally have become friends with 4 families in the last year with similar stories.  Feel free to ask me anything.  Sounds like your son has a great mom!

JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:08 PM
do you want to share why

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm probably going to have to do this for my son :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM
well do tell what a curriculum stuff you're using

Quoting jen2150:

I started homeschooling from preschool age and up.  We are still going strong.  Our story is completely different.  My boys are in 3rd and 5th grade.  I know many moms that share your same story though.  I personally have become friends with 4 families in the last year with similar stories.  Feel free to ask me anything.  Sounds like your son has a great mom!

JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

why not

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. I wouldn't homeschool.

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Yes.

We're going to HS because I think the learning environment in our schools is appalling.  They are the best in the area, great test scores (of course!).  But these itty bitty five year olds are quite literally in desks all day long.  I don't want to teach my son how to sit quietly.  :/  I think it will make him hate learning and I will feel like I am dropping him off at prison every morning.

Seriously, the preschools out here all laud themselves for the "desk time" they "practice".  FOur year olds only sit half days.

I wish I were kidding.

KrissyV
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Wow.  As a teacher I would never turn away a parent who requests a TAP process be started.  Teachers like that piss me off because I think they are being just plain lazy.  I did several TAPs within a year and had 37 sixth graders in a class.  It was a lot of documentation and work but hell isn't that what I get paid to do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN