Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does this sound fair to you? Second update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
Ds1 is about a month away from being 4 years old. I told him if he doesn't get his dirty clothes picked up and put in his basket then I am not washing them and he will have to deal with not having clean clothes. Sound fair?

To answer a couple questions since they've been repeated already.
No, we don't live "in a pig pen" as someone so rudely asked. He has his own room, and dresses himself, and instead of putting his dirty clothes in the basket he throws them around the room. He's 4, not 1 or 2. There's no reason r can't pick his own clothes up. And I know it sounds strange since he is a boy, but he does hate being in dirty clothes. He'll change 2 or 3 times a day if I let him.

I love the responses that he's a "baby" and he's "too young" for responsibilities! Once I told him his time was up and I was just going to do mommy and daddy's clothes, he got up and finished.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

No I would never make my kids wear dirty clothes. Just pick them up and toss them in the basket then. Geez.

skittlefart
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

He's a 3 year old boy. I don't think he'll have any problems with being in dirty clothes....

photo f0d2fac9-968e-4f2a-b2d4-23b82e20f027_zps882254c2.jpg
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
goodygumdrops
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Yes, but I have yet to meet a boy that age who would care.  lol

I would try taking away something and he has to earn it back by helping you with laundry.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I think it's odd that you expect a 4 year old to care about whether his clothes are clean or not.  it's only going to reflect on your parenting skills, not his ability to pick up after himself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Why are there even clothes of his laying out everywhere? Do you live in a pig pen? You are probably still dressing him since he is little so why aren't you tossing the clothes in the bin after he is changed?

amanda81919
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Yep. I did it to both my kids, 3& 5 yr olds, they put their clothes in the basket, clean their room, plus do 2 chores each around the house.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

now mine is not that old yet, but when I babysat that age, it was more helpful to offer a reward and praise than it was to threaten punishment--they would get excited and do it because they wanted to. Kids behave differently for "not their parents" though but it's a suggestion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a great time to start teaching him how to pick up. It's a bad time to teach him humiliation. 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Quoting skittlefart:

He's a 3 year old boy. I don't think he'll have any problems with being in dirty clothes....

Yep. I have a 3yo boy. He would probably prefer it :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

It sounds stupid.

Kids his age dont quite understand the importance of clean clothes.

Why not make it fun, put on music & use a timer to see how much he can get cleaned up while dancing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)