Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homework expectations--how much work do you expect your child to do?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM
  • 20 Replies

I only have one school aged child, my 10 year old SD. She lives with us full time.

Her teacher sends home a homework packet every Friday and they have to turn it back in on the following Thursday. It has 3 pages of math homework and three spelling assignments. One of the spelling assignments is to write sentences for some of the spelling words, usually the kids get to pick which words they want to write sentences for. Well, two of my SD's spelling words this week are "outdated" and "updated" and the sentences she wrote, while somewhat accurate did not demonstrate that she actually knew what the words meant. So I made her look up the definitions in a dictionary and write better sentences. She did so, but wasn't happy about it, and she came back with better sentences.

I am also the type of parent who has in the past given her extra math problems to help solidify the method of doing math. She is currently struggling with division and the class is moving on to fractions, so at home I give her a few extra (like 10 problems) a night just to help her learn the steps and really get it set in her mind that you do it this way.

My DH agrees with the way we do things. I'm just curious about how much other parents work with their kids or how much they actually expect of their kids. If it isn't obvious that your child knows the definition of a spelling word, how do you help them learn? And yes, I sit with her if she's having a problem and I am there for her to ask questions, but I still make her work it out for herself.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

My 2nd grader has more homework than your 10yr old.

lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
We work with our girls. I would however be fine with no homework. It is usually just busy work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I have done extra work with my oldest, who graduated last year.  it turned out that he knew the material, he was just lazy about completing out-of-class assignments.

we have done extra work with my kindergartner and preschooler too, but it's more because they have such a thirst for knowledge and love completing worksheets.  so we got extra workbooks for each of them on a variety of subjects and they willingly go pick one up, thumb through it, and do a few pages.

the homework that is sent home with my kindergartner is woefully inadequate for her.  while it's about seven pages long (and they also have a week to complete it), she will finish it accurately in about a half hour in one day.  that isn't quite the study habits I wish to teach, so on the rare day that they don't pick up a workbook on their own I will suggest it when they start begging for a snack half an hour before dinner is ready.

also, MIL is a retired first grade teacher so they're always working on something over there too.

MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

lol, that doesn't surprise me. She used to get a lot more homework in 2nd and 3rd grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

davnrori
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I agree with how you're doing things. I expect my child to do all of her homework to the best of her ability. She is the top student in her class and in the talented and gifted program. If she didn't do her homework I would be furious!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Lol, it surprised me. He gets a lot.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

lol, that doesn't surprise me. She used to get a lot more homework in 2nd and 3rd grade.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
All of it, regardless.
mariesmama
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

even my 3 yr old has homework every month they decorate a construction paper shape she's 3 so mommy& daddy help

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I don't give them extra work at all. They are expected to do the assignments the teacher gives them. I have no clue about their hw most of the time.

kansasmom1978
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

17 yr old ss is a Junior in high school, he does what needs to be done.

11 ds is a 5th grader. He has autism and usually only has homework if he refuses to do it at school. If that's the case he does what needs to be done.

7 year old dd is in 2nd grade. She has spelling every night. Other than that she rarely has homework.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured