Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mamas from cold (or coldish) places

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh wants to take our 4, almost 5 year old hiking this weekend. The weather has been great, but now the high is supposed to be 38 with a chance of snow, they're going in the morning so it will probably be a little colder than that. Is my southern kid going to freeze to death if he goes? lol It's not the temp I'm so much worried about as the dampness and rain/snow. Opinions?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kitschy
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

has he gone hiking before? My kids start to wine after about 1 mile even in the spring. lol

mama.samm.2.3
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Make sure you dress him warm. And make sure he is in clothing that wont get wet and hold the moisture. I live in South Dakota. And I have friends that take their kids hiking all year round. Also make sure your child knows that if he gets cold to speak up. And if he does get cold that means it is time to go home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

They will be fine. Just layer.

connorsmommy120
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

He'll be fine, just dress him up in layers. It was almost 40 here yesterday, and my kids were sweating in their snow gear while playing in the snow.

redneckmama4
by Loree on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Good boots, layers with a good coat, gloves, hat and he should be good.

Have fun!
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Quoting minnesotamommie:

Well to me in Minnesota that's warm but I think warm and cold are relative to what you are used to my kids leave the house to go to school at -10 so they wouldn't even be wearing winter coats at 38 but if you consider 38 cold for February then maybe your kid will be cold and miserable

If it was gooing to be sunny, or even just partly cloudy I would say go for it, but with dampness I'm concerned he'll get cold.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kitschy:

has he gone hiking before? My kids start to wine after about 1 mile even in the spring. lol

Oh I'm sure he'll whine. Idc, I wont be there! lol

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Layers. Hat. Gloves. Scarf. Bring extra socks incase his feet get wet and it soaks through his boots
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
D.O.E.
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

dress warm and only walk as far in one direction as he is willing to walk back with whiney kids lol

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting D.O.E.:

whats the temp in canadian speak? lol

Err..3 degrees celsius. lol 

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it depends on the kid. If he's energetic and wants to keep moving, he'll be fine. If he's not all that into hiking and wants to doddle around, he'll be a popsicle! My kids could be out in the snow for hours without noticing the cold or wetness and they are originally from FL (we live in IL now).

He dawdles. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)