Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mamas from cold (or coldish) places

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh wants to take our 4, almost 5 year old hiking this weekend. The weather has been great, but now the high is supposed to be 38 with a chance of snow, they're going in the morning so it will probably be a little colder than that. Is my southern kid going to freeze to death if he goes? lol It's not the temp I'm so much worried about as the dampness and rain/snow. Opinions?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Replies (21-30):
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Quoting connorsmommy120:

He'll be fine, just dress him up in layers. It was almost 40 here yesterday, and my kids were sweating in their snow gear while playing in the snow.

Was it sunny?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Hiking in 30 some degrees?  

That's really not that bad.  

If he's hiking, he will be moving enough to keep warm.  Have him wear layers, t-shirt, long sleeve or sweatshirt and winter coat.  Hat and gloves.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If he's hiking, he will be moving enough to keep warm.  Have him wear layers, t-shirt, long sleeve or sweatshirt and winter coat.  Hat and gloves.

He's 4, almost 5. Hiking to him is dawdling around the woods, not going for a strenuous trek through the wilderness. lol

It's the dampness that I'm concerned about. It feels colder when it's wet and dreary than dry and sunny.

artistmom27
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

It is a child to child basis. I don't take my son on any outing unless it is in the high 40s

Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

My kids spend hours and hours outside when it's in the 30s, but we're accustomed to that weather.  Warm layers and they should be fine.  They may feel cold because they're not acclimated to it, but 38 is by no means too cold to be outside safely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

We never hike if it's below 40

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting Anonymous:

He's 4, almost 5. Hiking to him is dawdling around the woods, not going for a strenuous trek through the wilderness. lol

It's the dampness that I'm concerned about. It feels colder when it's wet and dreary than dry and sunny.

Yeah, that's true.  Waterproof boots, good socks, extra socks, snow pants.

Does he like to be outside?  Some kids seem like they never get cold, no matter how long they stay outside.

MomVsBoys
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

HeeHee, 3 degrees? That's downright balmy!  But seriuosly if it's damp it'll feel much colder, dress him in multiple thin layers and be sure to have dry socks and shoes to change him into, and some light mitts or gloves to keep little fingertips cozy

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting D.O.E.:

whats the temp in canadian speak? lol

Err..3 degrees celsius. lol 

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

My kids go hiking in the winter all the time. As long as he's dressed appropriately, the path is well marked, and they can easily turn back if hes getting too cold or the weather gets bad, I wouldn't have any problem with it.

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Bundle up and he'll be fine especially if you're hiking. Moving around will help keep you warm. It's ok if it's snowing, but stay home if it's raining. Cold plus rain equals a miserable day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN