Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mamas from cold (or coldish) places

Posted by   + Show Post

Dh wants to take our 4, almost 5 year old hiking this weekend. The weather has been great, but now the high is supposed to be 38 with a chance of snow, they're going in the morning so it will probably be a little colder than that. Is my southern kid going to freeze to death if he goes? lol It's not the temp I'm so much worried about as the dampness and rain/snow. Opinions?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Replies (41-50):
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Good lord, that's sweater weather here! My kids still play outside when it's -30 Celsius. As long as they're dressed appropriately for the weather, they will be just fine. Plus they'll be keeping warm from the exertion of hiking.

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting D.O.E.:

whats the temp in canadian speak? lol

Err..3 degrees celsius. lol 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AshleyBDG
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh for crying out loud. Extreme much? Out hiking early in the morning is going to feel cold. Especially if there's wind, what's the wind chill? All depends on that and if it's going to be cloudy or sunny too. You can always take the hat off before the kids drops dead. I'm a nurse I'm not an idiot I'm pretty sure there'd be warning signs of overheating before things got to that point. Always better to start out with more warmth though than not enough.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting AshleyBDG:

Send him in snowpants boots, hats and gloves and a good coat ad he should be fine.

for 38 degree weather that is too much stuff kids overheat very easily and it can kill them 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JanineDeer
by Janine on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

A kid that age can't take much cold.   I wonder if you, since you say you are not from the north, even OWN anything correct for wet cold?  Like waterproof "pac boots"?  NOT all winter boots are even close to being waterproof.  For real boots, ONLY pac boots will do.  (sorels are the most famous brand)

Up here in MN we also wear ski pants or snowmobile suits or pants. Mittens NOT gloves are warmer.  Hat and hood.

Anyway, just be sure he is waterproofed in the foot department.  38 is quite warm.  But did you read the story of some man and his kid who DIED hiking?  They were not prepared.. it was out west somewhere?  NO it was in Missouri!  DARN this forum... and firefox.. it keeps NOT allowing me to cut and paste a link into this box.. frustration!  But just google the story!  

It will curl your hair

SavdNSanctified
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I don't take my kids out to play in 38 degree weather, and I live in Ohio.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I think it's too cold!!!
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

No. Just bundle 'em up. .. layers! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

some of you moms are so silly.  Reading the replies you would think taking a hike is as risky as wrestling with a bear.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting Anonymous:

Hiking in 30 some degrees?  

That's really not that bad.  

If he's hiking, he will be moving enough to keep warm.  Have him wear layers, t-shirt, long sleeve or sweatshirt and winter coat.  Hat and gloves.

He's 4, almost 5. Hiking to him is dawdling around the woods, not going for a strenuous trek through the wilderness. lol

It's the dampness that I'm concerned about. It feels colder when it's wet and dreary than dry and sunny.

Yeah, that's true.  Waterproof boots, good socks, extra socks, snow pants.

Does he like to be outside?  Some kids seem like they never get cold, no matter how long they stay outside.

He loves being outside, but hates being uncomfortable and hates exercising. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN