Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do single moms who work full time do it??

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
  • 85 Replies

Seriously?  

I work part time from 11-5 every day plus I have another job I work about 10 hours a week but I don't count that because it is here and there.  So, lets just count my 11-5 job.  

I wake up at 6:30 am, make DS's lunch, get him up at 7, feed him, get him ready, drop him off at school by 8:30, come home, clean, work out, shower, go to work.  Get off work, get DS, make dinner, feed him then we start homework.  

DS is in Kindergarten...  Every night pretty much the homework is as follows:  20 minutes of reading, spelling words (takes about 15-20 minutes), sight words (this usually takes a few minutes because he is a good reader), either 50 (YES- 50!) math problems, OR a book report, writing in the reading log.  And he is in Kindergarten!!!

Then we get him a bath, have a few minutes of 'us time' then go to bed!

How the heck do single moms raise their kids, do it all, AND work full time?!  Its impossible!   I could NEVER do it!  I don't understand how they manage to do it all!!!  Please explain to me, also if you have any tricks let me know!

You know you want it

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Also, I do my other job on mornings after I drop DS off, in case you're wondering.  Its for the family company so rather than working out, showering (lol) and cleaning, I'll be working that job.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:54 PM

bump for single moms--that is awesome you do all of that though!!

My husband is gone 3 to 4 straight nights a week-that is not the same as single mom-but I do have a child with extensive special needs and I work part time-it is not easy

bear.katten
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM
I know many single moms but have never known one that even spends every night with her kid like you do! The women I know have 2 or 3 jobs and are skimming by and see their kid(s) in the morning when they catch the bus and a few nights during the week.. Maybe a few hours each weekend morning and then they're home after kiddo is already asleep.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

To be honest, I'm fortunate enough to have family help out a great deal.  But our mornings usually consist of this:

4AM - I wake up and make coffee

5:15 to 5:30 AM - start waking up Monster, hop in shower really quick in between cruising through her room and hollering for her to get up.

6AM - Monster finally gets out of bed

Between 6:15 and 6:30, she eats and gets dressed.

6:45AM - we leave

I drive her across town for school.  I have to be to work at 8AM and her school starts at 8:30.  I drop her off at my parents' house to catch the school bus.  This gives her some quality time with Grampa.

I go to work.

She goes to after school care.

Pick her up around 5:30 PM.

We get home just before 6pm.

I keep frozen microwave shit for dinners during the week.  Toss one in for 10 mins or so and try to help her get homework done.  This never happens.  She will do everything BUT and usually by 7:45, I give up.

She goes to bed around 8PM.

I go to bed about 15 mins to a half hour after her.

It sucks ass since we don't get much time, but it's life.

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

It kills me because I refuse to have him do sloppy work on his homework, but man, if we skimmed some off there then I know I could 'earn' some extra time with him!  His teacher told me half the kids don't even do homework and believe me, I've been tempted to skip it.  On my days off all I do is hang out with him, take him to the park, etc.  Man I'm so so so tired though!  I don't know how these ladies do it all and spend time with the kids.  

Ok, he is calling for me to come and cuddle him I'll be back in about 10 minutes :) 

Quoting bear.katten:

I know many single moms but have never known one that even spends every night with her kid like you do! The women I know have 2 or 3 jobs and are skimming by and see their kid(s) in the morning when they catch the bus and a few nights during the week.. Maybe a few hours each weekend morning and then they're home after kiddo is already asleep.

You know you want it

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM

oh crap!  I forgot sports too, whatever season it is, I think its important to have an orginized sport, so, for instance, this season its baseball (teeball) so every saturday and once a week there is a tee ball game (only about 1 hour long) then a one hour long practice too :/

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I liked your reply because its so honest!  I can tell you we eat a lot of chicken nuggets, corn dogs and steamer bag vegetables in my house on week days because they are just so easy to throw together.  

Quoting randi1978:

To be honest, I'm fortunate enough to have family help out a great deal.  But our mornings usually consist of this:

5:15 to 5:30 AM - start waking up Monster, hop in shower really quick in between cruising through her room and hollering for her to get up.

I drive her across town for school.  I have to be to work at 8AM and her school starts at 8:30.  I drop her off at my parents' house to catch the school bus.  This gives her some quality time with Grampa.

I go to work.

I keep frozen microwave shit for dinners during the week.  Toss one in for 10 mins or so and try to help her get homework done.  This never happens.  She will do everything BUT and usually by 7:45, I give up.

You know you want it

.betty.white.
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Hugs, and its a lot like the same thing :(  

Quoting lifeisajoy:

bump for single moms--that is awesome you do all of that though!!

My husband is gone 3 to 4 straight nights a week-that is not the same as single mom-but I do have a child with extensive special needs and I work part time-it is not easy

You know you want it

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM

It's a lot of drive time that kills us.  My work is actually close to our home, but her school is 25 mins away down the freeway, LOL.  I am literally going to one town to drop her off and then going back to where we live to work and then back to the other town to pick her up.  I don't want us eating at 7:30.  It's just too late for us.  So I go balls to the walls on the weekends for dinners.

As you can also see, I find CM time.  It's up and I browse a little, respond here and there.  Most of my CM time is in the early AM Mon thru Fri.

Quoting .betty.white.:

I liked your reply because its so honest!  I can tell you we eat a lot of chicken nuggets, corn dogs and steamer bag vegetables in my house on week days because they are just so easy to throw together.  

Quoting randi1978:

I go to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm married now but it's called "Survival". You do what you have to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)