Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fat Kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

There's this girl on my Facebook friends who has a daughter that is 4 years old and wears a size 8/10 in girls clothes. She is FAT. That;s the only way to describe it. This poor little girl has a double chin and cankles! Her stomach is huge, her legs are huge, she even has fat hanging on her arms. I feel so bad for her! I can't help but think this is the result of crappy parenting. There is no reason or excuse for your 4 year old to be that fat! The poor child is going to have a wide range of health problems by the time she's a teenager. Not to mention the mean kids at school who will make fun of her, the self esteem problems she will have later in life and let's hope she never develops an eating disorder. 

This goes beyond regular judging people for what they feed or do with their kids. Do you know how many calories this child must consume on a daily basis, and how little physical activity she must engage in, in order to be so horribly overweight at such a young age? 

What do you think? Are fat kids a direct result of poor parenting? Is there anything that should be done about it?

ETA: This child does not have a medical condition and children who do have medical conditions causing them to gain weight are not included in what I mean by this post.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM
How do you know she doesn't have a medical condition?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I know that this little girl in particular does not have a medical condition, and my post is not refering to any who do.

Quoting Anonymous:

How do you know she doesn't have a medical condition?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:25 AM

To answer your questions? I think that...

If it is NOT the result of a medical condition, it could be bad parenting or ignorance. The fact is that some parents legitimately don't care about their own weight and don't see it as a problem, parents tend to feed their kids the same diet that they partake in. This is why you often enough see fat parents with fat kids. Despite the genetic component, diet still plays a, no pun intended, big role.

That and some parents are just ignorant. Ignorant of the cost it's taking on their child's health, ignorant of how to feed their children healthy foods (especially on a low budget), ignorant of how to feed kids right and properly in general, to be honest.

I personally know a few parents (whoop, going Anon) that believe that it is their KID'S job to figure out that his eating habits are leading him to gain weight, that HE needs to learn how to do it and that their pushing him to eat healthier will degrade his self-esteem by making his weight a household issue and it will force him to deal with a reality that he needs to figure out how to cope with on his own. Some parents legitimately do not believe that enforcing healthy eating habits is their job and that their children must learn for themselves and that it is somehow beyond their control. In addition, some parents are just scared of damaging their children's self esteem further by making their weight a talkable issue and by taking action.

That and some parents believe obesity is almost purely genetic and that kids are "born fat". They will say "Oh, I was fat as a kid and I grew out of it, he will too" without realizing that either 1) They never grew out of it or 2) They suffered from low self-esteem and in all actuality, weren't really fat. I know a Mother who believes this and that her son will grow out of his obesity, but when you look at pictures of her at the age she says she was, she looks perfectly healthy, a little stomach but no where near obese.

There are SO many reasons and factors that it is important to remember that a child being overweight often enough can not be pinpointed to one explanation, these explanations I gave you are just what I have found in my everyday life to be the most common.

CallMeSwarley
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM
I find it hard to believe you know the child's medical history, and even if you did, she could have undiagnosed condition. I think I do my damndest not to judge other parents because I am far from perfect myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

I know for a fact that she does not have any diagnosed medical conditions. And her mother is not in any way trying to pursue anything. If my child were that overweight, I would be.

Quoting CallMeSwarley:

I find it hard to believe you know the child's medical history, and even if you did, she could have undiagnosed condition. I think I do my damndest not to judge other parents because I am far from perfect myself.

CountryMomma123
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Not your kids, not your problem. Leave it alone and move on to something else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I don't know. My daughter is overweight, and it isn't because I haven't tried to do anything about it. She isn't as big as that girl you describe, but she is chunky. I really cannot explain why she is overweight. We do eat a healthy diet, and like I said, I try to curtail what she eats and encourage her to MOVE. It is not because of junk food, as I don't buy it.

CallMeSwarley
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

You keep claiming you know. How? How do you claim to know for sure?
LivysMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I know a kid like this myself and I can't help but feel awful for her. I think it is poor parenting and selfish to not change your lifestyle habits so your child can lead a healthy life.

themissheather
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:41 AM
I think that the child having a medical condition is less likely than the child having ignorant parents. It's heartbreaking. This country so desperately needs a change in regards to how we view food and what we know about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)