Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SAHM vs. WORKING ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM
  • 118 Replies

Which do you think is harder? Have you done both? Do you wish you could do one or the other?

***I apologize to anyone that I made upset with this question. I did not intend for it to be a competition. I should have phrased it to ask "what are the challenges to each situation?" I am relatively new to this site, so I didn't know that this question has already been asked a lot. I would assume that if you don't like the question, you don't need to answer! Since 90+ people have responded, I guess not everyone is tired of the topic. I found it very interesting to read all the different perspectives, so thanks to those who responded!***

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM
4 moms liked this
Again? Each mother has her own challenges. Why can't we support each other and stop with the contest? This is old.

I happen to be a single parent, working Mom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
-JC-
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I work from home. It's the hardest. I run a full time property management co from my home office with a three year old.

I take him to show apartmemts, he's there when I do office work and marketing. And I still cook, clean, practice learning with him and play.
christina0607
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I've been both and either off and on for the last 12 years. 

I loved being a SAHM. I found nothing remotely difficult about it.

However working and still having to get all the same things done at home can be taxing. It's hard to balance work, getting the house clean, taking care of the household responsibilities, taking care of the kids, having a singular relationship with my husband....and finding that extra time to just have fun. 

christina0607
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM

If that was an option I would have picked work from home. I personally could never do that. It would make me feel horrible. 

Quoting -JC-:

I work from home. It's the hardest. I run a full time property management co from my home office with a three year old.

I take him to show apartmemts, he's there when I do office work and marketing. And I still cook, clean, practice learning with him and play.

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Child rearing and financially helping the family are just both aspects of our responsibilities as parents.  There are joys and benefits and aggravations and drawbacks to all of the things we must do to raise our children and pay our bills.

The constant drumbeat to make it a competition of which is better or worse and those who do it one way or another are better or worse is frustrating.

jakesmom323
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I'm a SAHM and I think it's really hard and a personal sacrifice in some ways. Like independence, personal savings, personal time, never getting a break or day off, etc.. I really admire women out there working full time, paying $100 plus a week per kid to daycares, and juggling everything a lot. I think that would be way harder and sacrificing special time with your kids. I just think both are hard honestly....
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM

i've done both; both are the same... not too hard not too easy.... you do what you gotta do!

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
They both have there challenges. I've done both.
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Ive done both. To me, and its just my opinion, working was harder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's not a competition and they each have their unique challenges.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured