Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If my son's school teaches Cursive ... *update*

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 485 Replies
3 moms liked this
I'm going to try to opt him out and ask that they allow him to use that time to study something useful, or do independent reading and write reports for credit. Does your child's school still teach cursive? What grade do they start in?

*update*
The BoyChild had his IEP yesterday. While I had what felt like the entire school staff sitting in front of me (his teacher, occupational therapist, school psychologist, speech therapist, APE teacher, and SDC teacher) I asked if the school teaches cursive.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. of them let out a kind of sigh and said "yes, for now." I asked their opinion of it, and just as I have been stating I got a lot of "it's outdated" "unneccessary" and "waste of time" ... The OT said that most kids don't even need to learn it in order to read it because most of the letters are similar enough that it makes sense. She said that they would rather spend the time on keyboarding skills, but that it's in the curriculum so they're required to at least "teach" it a bit. However, once they've gone through it, they don't ever really mention it again, allowing students to make up their own minds on how they'd like to write.
She ALSO said that she thought it would be a colossal waste of time for my son, and that when he hits 3rd grade (when they start teaching it) that they'll discuss it with the teacher and allow him to use that time on the computers practicing his typing and keyboarding skills.
I'm so grateful that my son has the opportunity to attend a public school that holds very high ranking and a regular place on the CA Distinguished Schools list. I'm extra grateful that the staff of the school understands the needs of the real world, and is embracing those needs instead of sticking with a "what we've always done, how we've always done it, because that's the way it's done" kind of attitude.
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM
My youngest is in third grade and he hasn't yet started cursive... but they will next quarter.
HaleyCovington
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:04 PM
25 moms liked this

Why wouldn't you want him to learn that?

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My 3rd grader just started to learn cursive. Why would you not want him to learn cursive?

Neon1980
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
My son is in 3rd grade and has already started learning. His cursive is much neater and more legible than his regular handwriting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM
My brother is 13 and was never taught cursive in school, and I think that is ridiculous. The school district he was attending (he's since been transferred to a Christian school) doesn't teach cursive at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM
6 moms liked this
Montessori teaches it first because its easier for children with limited fine motor skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM
6 moms liked this
3rd and 4th grade they do.

If I was your child's teacher I'd suggest you find a different program if you weren't happy with what your child was being taught.
momof2little1s
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM
This is true for my 3rd grader too!

Quoting Neon1980:

My son is in 3rd grade and has already started learning. His cursive is much neater and more legible than his regular handwriting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

They start it at the end of second grade here. By the last half of 3rd grade, the teachers want all the work done in cursive.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this

No, they don't.  We've given birth to the first generation who will never learn to properly sign their own names.

ETA - My daughters teacher (2nd grade) says they only have about 5min/week to spend on block penmanship and that often gets dropped in favor of more "important" tasks. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)