Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

taking kids to the jail/prison?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Would you take your kids/step kids to see their parent in jail?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Replies (21-28):
Sandiekd21
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

When my DS was a baby, I took him to see my sister in jail a few times.
Now, if for some reason my DH got locked up (highly unlikely, as he's a law abiding citizen) I do not think I would take the kdis to see him.
Now that they are older, I wouldn't want them going to see him in there, where they can't even touch him because he's behind the glass.
I wouldn't want them to see him like that, anyways.

Mrz.Anaya
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I couldn't do it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Even a 5 yr old?

Quoting LucyHarper:

Shes not a danger to the child, she wants to see the child and seeing the child could give her a reason to try to clean herself up, its safe, and it can be a learning experiance to the child of what happens when you go down that path, I would allow it.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sd's mom wants us to bring her for visits. She has charges for b&e, larceny, drugs and many more.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Yes, as long as he isn't in for something really bad. Jail visits are usually very mild, they are very well supervised and the inmates are kept in order, the kids aren't being put in any danger and aren't at risk of hearing things they shouldn't. If they want to see their father, then they can do so. Outside familial connections are often what keeps inmates from going over to the violent side.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Yes

Quoting Anonymous:

Even a 5 yr old?

Quoting LucyHarper:

Shes not a danger to the child, she wants to see the child and seeing the child could give her a reason to try to clean herself up, its safe, and it can be a learning experiance to the child of what happens when you go down that path, I would allow it.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sd's mom wants us to bring her for visits. She has charges for b&e, larceny, drugs and many more.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Yes, as long as he isn't in for something really bad. Jail visits are usually very mild, they are very well supervised and the inmates are kept in order, the kids aren't being put in any danger and aren't at risk of hearing things they shouldn't. If they want to see their father, then they can do so. Outside familial connections are often what keeps inmates from going over to the violent side.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We have someone in our lives that was in a Federal Prison camp at one time and yes, we took the kids. And other family members took their kids too. Now, this wasn't your typical "what everyone thinks when they hear jail/prison" type of place. People imagine jail/prison visits to be a lot worse than what they are. (now I am not talking about higher security places or even county jails, I know *some* of those can be bad) Use it as a learning tool. 

livingforthem83
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I don't know. I wouldn't want to go, so I just don't know.

Megara
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

It is not quite the same, but DH and I take our kids to death row to visit a man converted through our prison ministry.  We've been going since DD was about 18 months old.  There are other children visiting family on death row, too. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lovebugbaby
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, I did when dds bio dad was in jail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN