Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Vegans or Vegetarians with no Dairy

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 2 Replies

How did you make the change? We already don't have any dairy (my son and I). My son is diagnosed with lactose intolerance but I know I have it too, just dont see a reason to pay to be told when I can control my own diet. Dairy isn't good for you anyway.

Any way, what did you do? Did you make a book of recipes first? Did you do a lot of research first? I know a lot about nutrition but am not a pro by any means. I have food issues and have found myself definitely compulsive eating heavily lately. It's not good for my kids to see. I feel if I can focus that energy toward eating super healthy, and getting my digestive tract back together I can control the compulsive and binge eating disorder.

Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I saw a registered dietitian.  She wanted me to keep a food log for two weeks to analyze.  I also had an "A-Z" nutritional panel done.  She could see where I was lacking in vital nutrients and work with me to correct that.  

It turns out I do not absorb B12 well, so I now take monthly shots.  I also was taking calcium with my iron, a big no-no.  I was getting way too little protein and need about 75 grams a day.  My numbers are now much better since I followed her advice.

RainieDaze
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I did a lot of research when I was younger about foods and nutrients that you get out of all different types of foods because my mom raised us vegan but to her it was just to stay skinny, not to be healthy. I found that I always felt hungry and craved certain things because I wasn't getting the different nutrients that I needed. If you have a craving for say...starchy foods, potatoes and such, it means you're lacking a certain nutrient that you could probably get from a much healthier item. If I were you I would just do my research. As for myself, instead of milk I drink Silk Light Soy milk, vanilla flavor. As for Vitamin D I try to get enough sunlight every day to make up for that. I try to have a good mixture of fruits, vegetables, and protein every day. Always switch it up, don't eat the same things all the time because you'll never get everything your body needs that way. Great superfoods that make amazing breakfast smoothies: baby spinach, berries of any kind, pomegranate, pumpkin, oranges, apples, soy, greek nonfat yogurt...there's a bunch, look it up online. But what I would do is throw some berries, a banana, 1 c of yogurt (so delicious brand, lactose free), and some baby spinach in the blender - it's an amazing concoction that gives you most everything you need in a day. Good luck to you! Just do your research and find what works for you and your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN