Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicken Pox, Chicken Pox Parties, and Cartoons *Edit at top*

Posted by   + Show Post
ETA - Some people posting replies seem to think that the only way you get shingles is if you have had chicken pox. That as long as they have the varicella vaccine they are safe from shingles. That is not correct. You/your child can still get CP even if you/they have been vaccinated. You/your child can get shingles if you/they have been vaccinated.

I remember when I was in 3rd grade. I had hundreds of pox. My mom was counting as she putting calamine lotion on my stomach. I had over 200 spots just on my stomach. She quit around there. LOL!

I remember my friend came over to visit. Her mom brought a cute container with suckers popping out all around it. Strawberry suckers. We sucked on them and watched TV in the living room. I thought how awesome that was to hang out with her.

It wasn't until after I was interviewed on the news a few years ago about pox parties that I remembered that. My mom was surprised when I told her she had a pox party. LOL! We both thought it was funny.

Remember when it was a common illness, instead of the "scary" disease that should be avoided at all costs? Something that was even in our cartoons and books.

Simpsons throwing a pox party.

Uploaded with Imgupr

Peanuts

Uploaded with Imgupr

Books

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr

Uploaded with Imgupr
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't vaccinate anymore. Unfortunately my oldest 2 did get the varicella vaccine. They aren't getting the boosters for it though.

The vaccine doesn't guarantee immunity, and you need boosters every 8-10 years (I believe that is the time they give now).

Or... They could get wild pox and not have to worry about it. ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

Ooor get the vaccine and not worry about it!

Quoting kcangel63:

The older you get, the worse it is. That's why it's best to get it as a kid.

Quoting Anonymous:

I had them as a teenager and I was in the hospital for a week,  it IS a serious disease,  I don't care how many cutesy books they make about them!

piesmama09
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I do remember that, but it's 2013 now when they get their routine vaccinations they will NEVER have to deal with it at all! I would hate to see my little one's suffering like we used to...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Until they get older and have shingles!  Lots of vaccines need boosters so I don't see the big deal in that either!

Quoting kcangel63:

We don't vaccinate anymore. Unfortunately my oldest 2 did get the varicella vaccine. They aren't getting the boosters for it though.

The vaccine doesn't guarantee immunity, and you need boosters every 8-10 years (I believe that is the time they give now).

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Anonymous:

I had them as a teenager and I was in the hospital for a week,  it IS a serious disease,  I don't care how many cutesy books they make about them!

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Children who get the vaccine have been getting shingles as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Until they get older and have shingles!  Lots of vaccines need boosters so I don't see the big deal in that either!

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Anonymous:

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I hope the vaccine does work well for yours. I've know several kids who got pox from the vaccine. It's also not 100%. Also, make sure they keep up with their booster shots. Especially as adults, since it is much worse the older they get.

You might have their titters checked to see if they have immunity.

Quoting piesmama09:

I do remember that, but it's 2013 now when they get their routine vaccinations they will NEVER have to deal with it at all! I would hate to see my little one's suffering like we used to...

christina0607
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Well now we know by getting chicken pox as a child you become susceptible to shingles as an adult. Back then we weren't as educated on the subject.

If I knowingly put my kids in a situation that might cause them tremendous pain as an adult I would feel like an awful person. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I've never had them and I'm 32, can I get the vaccine and be ok?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kcangel63:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:08 PM

My remembrance of Chicken pox is not the same as yours.

When I was growing up it wasn't some *scary* thing . It was something kids got that was contagious. So you stayed home and no one came around you until it was cleared up.  

I have had chicken pox twice . First time when I was 2 1/2 . Next time I caught it from my son when I was 24 . 

I myself will not have my younger children attending a  * Pox Party * 

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I had the chicken pox at 5 and Shingles at 30... Neither was pleasant and I still occasionally feel the nerve pain associated with the shingles.

I couldn't imagine purposefully exposing my child to something that is painful and uncomfortable and is potentially deadly. I had a friend growing up who was hospitalized for 2 weeks due to a severe case.

We have not yet immunized for pox, we may once he gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

twice?

Quoting Anonymous:

My remembrance of Chicken pox is not the same as yours.

When I was growing up it wasn't some *scary* thing . It was something kids got that was contagious. So you stayed home and no one came around you until it was cleared up.  

I have had chicken pox twice . First time when I was 2 1/2 . Next time I caught it from my son when I was 24 . 

I myself will not have my younger children attending a  * Pox Party * 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured