Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cloth diapering

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM
  • 57 Replies
Dh and I are trying to get pregnant. I really want to cloth diaper this time, Dh is on the fence. He's afraid he's not going to know how, and to be perfectly honest I don't know a whole lot about it either. I have read online that its cheaper and better for baby but I really have no idea what all goes with it.

How do you launder them? Is there any special things I have to do?

How many do I need?

Is it just as easy to change as a disposable?

I do laundry everyday but is there a special place to put the soiled diaper? Like a cloth diaper gene?

Any info you can give me will be greatly appreceated. And any words of advice so hubby doesn't feel so intimidate by them would be great as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trixi.VonLace
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Bump
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Omg please don't get me started about cloth diapers. I will never shut up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trixi.VonLace
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Lmao! I'm ok with that haha!

Quoting LiDoMama:

Omg please don't get me started about cloth diapers. I will never shut up!
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Yes, you will need to launder them with a cloth diaper- safe detergent. There are many to choose from. Certain fabrics need to be washed and dried certain ways. Yes, they are easy to change- there are many types of cd's to choose from and some are pretty much exactly like changing a disposable. You can put your soiled dipes in a hanging wet bag or a trash can with a wet bag liner inside. They seem intimidating at first but are actually super easy to use. Do you have a local store nearby that sells them? Many cloth diaper stores offer classes to introduce you to cloth diapers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Join the cuties with cloth booties group
Trixi.VonLace
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Will dreft work? I always use that for the baby clothes for the first year.

I could hang a bag in the laundry room, that would be a snap.

I was actually wanting to make my own, I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine lol. I'm not sure if we have any stores near us, I will have to look.

Thank you :)

Quoting LiDoMama:

Yes, you will need to launder them with a cloth diaper- safe detergent. There are many to choose from. Certain fabrics need to be washed and dried certain ways. Yes, they are easy to change- there are many types of cd's to choose from and some are pretty much exactly like changing a disposable. You can put your soiled dipes in a hanging wet bag or a trash can with a wet bag liner inside. They seem intimidating at first but are actually super easy to use. Do you have a local store nearby that sells them? Many cloth diaper stores offer classes to introduce you to cloth diapers.
Trixi.VonLace
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Will do :) ty

Quoting littlemonaghan:

Join the cuties with cloth booties group
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm mobile so this will be short.

Laundry is easy. Most people wash every other day. Store in a trash with a pail liner and wash the longer with the diapers. You need 18 per day for a newbie buy can get by with about 24 later on.

The info if overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it it's EASY to know the lingo. It's cheaper (if you don't become addicted) and there aren't chemicals during on your baby, esp. dioxins a top rated carcinogen that may cause infertility.
Destiny907
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I did cloth diapers for ALL my kids, I had five of them!  I did it cause I'm a certified hippy- type, tree-hugger.

To be eco and all that jazz. Well... let me tell you.  I double diapered at night. STILL WOULD LEAK THRU.  So, it was not only change the baby but the crib, too, at night.

The new nursing baby mustard liquidy-poop...........would sometimes leak right out!  The plastic pants did not keep it all in!  So.... had to have lots of sleepers on hand!

I did not even use the disposable wipes, oh no, not me- I used nice warm water, soap and white washclothes!

To PROPERLY kill the germs during laundering, you are to have your HOT water at least 140... and really sanitary is 160!   Sure is hard to do this at home!   (with my new (hated) energy star washer- it will not EVEN allow me to put straight hot water in- it "tempers" the water!!!!)  And no one keeps their hot water above 140, really.

So...........you MUST use chlorine bleach to sanitize..  And to get the yellow mustard poop color out of them! LOL

Long story short- it was NASTY to rinse the poopy out in the toilet.. swish swish.. gross.   The stinkof the diaper pail- oh yes it stunk. 

It DID NOT prevent diaper rashes!!!! NO it did not. 

WHEN my last kid reached age one, I grew very very weary of the diaper routine and began to put disposables on him.   OH they absorbed a LOT BETTER.... LOL it sure was a lot easier.

Trixi.VonLace
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Awesome info! Thank you

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I'm mobile so this will be short.

Laundry is easy. Most people wash every other day. Store in a trash with a pail liner and wash the longer with the diapers. You need 18 per day for a newbie buy can get by with about 24 later on.

The info if overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it it's EASY to know the lingo. It's cheaper (if you don't become addicted) and there aren't chemicals during on your baby, esp. dioxins a top rated carcinogen that may cause infertility.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)