Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

An Ideal Engament Ring

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 119 Replies

Considering any or all factors, how much do you think should be spent on an engagement ring? The norm is supposed to be 2 months worth of income, but is that a good rule to go by? Might it be too much? Too little? If you're already married, were you OK with the ring choice? Did you choose the ring yourself?

Edit: I ask because my sister is incredbly picky and her SO bought her a ring (which I didn't get to see yet) and both of my brothers saw it. One didn't like it and the other did. None of us are sure how much he spent on it but it was either 618 or 6180. Big gap I know but if it was 2 month income it would be around 9k. So I was just curious. I'm not engaged yet lol so I've yet to think of that situation about myself but I would think anything under 5k would be plenty, but that might just be my taste with rings in general.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleSw
by CoolStory on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

IDK.. Not much for material things. I would guess a couple thousand could get a decent a ring.. bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM
i loved my engagement ring =)
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:37 PM

My husband chose my ring and I love it. It's one of those combo rings...the engagement ring has the diamond and some diamonds in the setting, then the wedding band connects to the other ring to make a bigger ring. It wasn't a lot by some standards I see (I think he said around 600 bucks, which was, at the time, way less than 2 months' worth of income) but I don't really care about the monetary value on it. He picked it for me and took into account my taste. It is perfect.

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I don't really have a rule of thumb for engagement rings but my husband did the two month wages thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

the 2 month rule is bullshit.  you don't need a ring at all.

ddhb2007
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I chose my ring. At the time, it was less than 1 month of my husband's salary. I loved the ring, so the cost didn't matter to me. (it's a non-traditional ring, and at the time the cost was equivalent to a 1 carat diamond solitaire) My husband would like to replace it with "a rock" (colored diamond), but I see no need.
missamanda86
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I refused to let Dh spend a small fortune on my ring. My whole set was $200 and Im perfectly happy with it. 

Saintsational
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

He should buy what he can afford. No sense in going in debt over a ring. He picked everything by himself based in what he could afford.. I had no input. And I loved it. But I would have married him with a twist tie ring if that's the best he could have done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I <3 my ring. Dh picked it out and he has always been proud of his decision. It is a diamond solitare. (Honestly if I were to pick it out, I would have picked another stone, something other than a white diamond).
hopeym23
by J3 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM

NO idea how much mine cost and I don't care.  I love it.  I love what it stands for.

Are you on the Weight Watchers program? This is a group for support through your weight loss journey. No judging or drama here!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/118404

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)