Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate tourists and snow birds

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I live in a beach area of Florida. I hate from November to April and June to October. Snow birds drive slower than poop. My child had violin lessons today across town, and a snow bird was going 25 mph in a 45 mph zone.

The tourists are worse. When you come visit an area, people here are not here as a service to you.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
sampson200
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Meh.

Florida used to be a living hell of a swamp before tourism kicked in and made it a destination spot for many.

Appreciate those snow birds, lady. They help your economy.

lkane81
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont care for them either mostly in the winter here for snowmobiling. They are just down right rude and treat us like idiots. That and we cant enjoy our own trails without them speeding and rynning us off the trails.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2camy
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I live in Pensacola, FL and before I was married I was an office manager at a hotel on the beach. I know exactly where you are coming from but I can also appreciate the fact that they bring in so much money for the area.
sampson200
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Quoting ChevronOwls:

Also, what's a snow bird? lol

Someone from the northern snowy states who 'flies' down south during the winter and stays for a few months. Usually old or retired peeps.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I'm military. I have no choice, but to live here. If someone relies on these people for income, then expect them to serve you. Most of all clean up on the beach.

Quoting ChevronOwls:

Whatever. A lot of the people here rely on tourists to put a roof over their heads and food on their table.

Give them a break. They are in a new town and trying to enjoy themselves.

christina0607
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I live in New England and fall is hell here. People drive slow and look at dying leaves. It blows my mind. Then they will stop people and ask where the best leaves are...seriously? My answer is standard "the trees".

I totally feel for you. 

jbirdsladie27
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I agree and I live here!!!!

Quoting CoolRelax:

Oh, you mean those folks who are helping drive your state's economy?  Yeah those folks are LAME!

livingforthem83
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Our tourism(after the ports) keeps our economy here flowing so I will not complain about tourism.

happehcrone
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

HAHA I feel ya!  We're from Maine - soooo....no "snow birds" but zomg, the tourists (or as we call 'em, the people from away).  Parking EVERYWHERE - including spaces clearly labeled "reserved" - driving as though everyone was on vacation - not to mention doing incredibly stupid things like stealing someone's lobster buoy for a "souvenir" (God help you if you would happen to get caught doing that!)  Walking on to private docks  - owned by working fishermen - to gawk and take photos.  Treating locals as if they were complete rubes.  I'm not saying ALL tourists of course, but enough.  We used to always say "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them??"  LOL 

OK - indeed, tourism may boost economy.  However, for someone to have the attitude that simply because they are bringing money into the area they can feel superior to the locals, act in a rude and inconsiderate manner and generally treat people offering services as slaves is just ignorant.  For people to say that such tourists are not only entitled to feel and behave that way but also that locals should not only tolerate it but be GRATEFUL for it is doubly ignorant.  Just sayin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I live in Hawai'i....nuff said...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)