Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate tourists and snow birds

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I live in a beach area of Florida. I hate from November to April and June to October. Snow birds drive slower than poop. My child had violin lessons today across town, and a snow bird was going 25 mph in a 45 mph zone.

The tourists are worse. When you come visit an area, people here are not here as a service to you.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Tomorrow is "Unofficial," the biggest drinking party in the midwest. Annoying college students from 50+ surrounded colleges make the drive to Champaign, IL and party on the University of Illinois campus. 

As a mom, I hate it. I pray for the idiots because someone WILL die tomorrow.

Our city won't get rid of it because we make HUGE money. We sell hundreds of thousands in alcohol, our police, fire, and ambulance crews are working major overtime. Our restaurants are packed to the brim and every waitress in town makes a killing. Our ER doctors, nurses, cleaning crews, etc all make a killing in overtime benefits on how many stomachs they pump and minor injuries they fix. The best part is we write hundreds of high dollar tickets to all of the drunk idiots who don't follow the posted rules and most of them live out of the area and simply pay the huge fine instead of driving back to fight it.

Yeah, "tourists" are annoying and I can't leave my house for the next 2 days, but that is ok. I am glad for all of the extra revenue. I enjoy listening to the police scanner. And I will pray for no deaths this year and hope that at least no sober people are injured during the insanity.

But those who are visiting the are will gladly service them tomorrow. We love the economy boost.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Hey...they keep your economy going! 

So go around the old people.

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Our population goes from 1.2 (not twelve.. 1.2) million to 16 million or so in the summer. I feel your pain. lol Luckily, we do get a couple of months that tourists want nothing to do with us. April and November. lol I am used to it and because of moronic government has chased industry out of our state, we rely on tourists. It is what it is. We just go further North in the summer. lol

lindilouwho82
by Lindi on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Me too!!! I live in AZ, the fucking snow birds drive me crazy!! They stay a few months out of the year and think they own everything. Most of them are rude, snotty assholes. Even the word snowbird send me into a rage. LOL!!

Isn't it annoying??!!!

I swear these old folks are going to kill someone with their lack of driving skills! Hell, you can't even walk across a grocery store parking lot without almost getting hit a couple of times before getting to the front door!

Though I will say they help my community's economy because during the summer business owners struggle!

Just remember in about two months they will be gone!

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Wow...seriously?  Ugh.  I can't believe they think this is ok and unofficially sanction it instead of shut it down.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tomorrow is "Unofficial," the biggest drinking party in the midwest. Annoying college students from 50+ surrounded colleges make the drive to Champaign, IL and party on the University of Illinois campus. 

As a mom, I hate it. I pray for the idiots because someone WILL die tomorrow.

Our city won't get rid of it because we make HUGE money. We sell hundreds of thousands in alcohol, our police, fire, and ambulance crews are working major overtime. Our restaurants are packed to the brim and every waitress in town makes a killing. Our ER doctors, nurses, cleaning crews, etc all make a killing on how many stomachs they pump and minor injuries they fix. The best part is we write hundreds of high dollar tickets to all of the drunk idiots who don't follow the posted rules and most of them live out of the area and simply pay the huge fine instead of driving back to fight it.

Yeah, "tourists" are annoying and I can't leave my house for the next 2 days, but that is ok. I am glad for all of the extra revenue. I enjoy listening to the police scanner. And I will pray for no deaths this year and hope that at least no sober people are injured during the insanity.

But those who are visiting the are will gladly service them tomorrow. We love the economy boost.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

So move or leave earlier.

We are military, there are horrible drivers EVERYWHERE!

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Oh oh I got one for all you Southerners...why the need to drive like an old lady when it rains? Its just rain! Lol. Also as we got to Georgia like three people tried running us off the road! It was crazy. I miss the North. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Tourists are what save your economy and many other places economy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM
I would not mind, if they were more polite , didn't expect me to provide services to them (like asking directions like Meryl Streep in Devil Wears Prada, and getting pissy if I don't know wtf they are talking about), leaving empties, cigarettes and vomit on the beach, expecting my kids to leave when we live here, or my fave boating drunk and trying to knock me and my dd off my SUP.
LucyHarper
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

And you know where this person was from because... Also, most "snowbirds" are the elderly who go south for the winter because they can't take the cold, so yeah, they might drive a little slower, they are old, give them a break and have some respect. If you don't like tourists, don't live in a touristy area. They are what brings an income to your town. We full on welcome tourists here, yeah they can be annoying sometimes, but there would be a lot more poverty here without the tourists.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)