Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate tourists and snow birds

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I live in a beach area of Florida. I hate from November to April and June to October. Snow birds drive slower than poop. My child had violin lessons today across town, and a snow bird was going 25 mph in a 45 mph zone.

The tourists are worse. When you come visit an area, people here are not here as a service to you.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Do you feel better now?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

The income for the city is so great that no one will shut it down. The bar owners started it years ago because the students would be on spring break when st patty's day would roll around and they missed out on revenue so they started their own holiday. 

We have fixed our rules. The police check big parties and check IDs. They swarm bars and check IDs. They limit one keg per apartment and you can "only" buy 196 (lol) cans of beer in one purchase tomorrow.

Shockingly we have had 0 deaths from drinking and driving. Most of our problems are from idiots falling off balconies (we limit how many on a balcony now) or drunk idiots crossing the street and getting hit. 

Last year it rained and we had someone step out in front of traffic against the light. It was very quick, the mirror of a van smacked his face and knocked him down and the car behind him ran him over.

Townies generally understand the risk and just stay home as much as possible.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Wow...seriously?  Ugh.  I can't believe they think this is ok and unofficially sanction it instead of shut it down.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tomorrow is "Unofficial," the biggest drinking party in the midwest. Annoying college students from 50+ surrounded colleges make the drive to Champaign, IL and party on the University of Illinois campus. 

As a mom, I hate it. I pray for the idiots because someone WILL die tomorrow.

Our city won't get rid of it because we make HUGE money. We sell hundreds of thousands in alcohol, our police, fire, and ambulance crews are working major overtime. Our restaurants are packed to the brim and every waitress in town makes a killing. Our ER doctors, nurses, cleaning crews, etc all make a killing on how many stomachs they pump and minor injuries they fix. The best part is we write hundreds of high dollar tickets to all of the drunk idiots who don't follow the posted rules and most of them live out of the area and simply pay the huge fine instead of driving back to fight it.

Yeah, "tourists" are annoying and I can't leave my house for the next 2 days, but that is ok. I am glad for all of the extra revenue. I enjoy listening to the police scanner. And I will pray for no deaths this year and hope that at least no sober people are injured during the insanity.

But those who are visiting the are will gladly service them tomorrow. We love the economy boost.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Be happy that they go to where you live. It boosts your economy.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

You should be thanking them for helping your local economy. ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

As a Canadian, let me just say, it goes both ways. I just love it when American visitors ridicule our currency. My personal favourite is when a group of Americans, all driving big ass trailers, form a convoy 6 trailers long on a single lane, windy road, and they go 60 km in a 90 km zone. That's sooo much fun. And the best part, when they get to a signed pull-out, where it says "Slower Vehicles Pull-Out HERE to Allow Others to Pass", they just keep toodling along, because, well, the rules don't apply to Americans, don't you know. And my most favourite part is when they complain about Canadian Customs who had the audacity to not let them in our country with their guns. Oh, wait, I also love the way they like to argue about our, gasp, progressiveness, and how we're all bleeding heart liberals for allowing everyone equal rights and access to health care. So enlightening, discussions with Americans. I'm so thankful we whupped your asses back in 1812....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

if you think all southern drive like old ladies  when it rain, then you have never been in florida. those of us who live in florida drive in rain all the time, summer time that is ALLLLLL IT does is rain. but it doesn't just rain, it pours. Rains so hard you can't see the road. Or it will be raining so hard  you can't see the road in one  spot and 5 min up the road, the road will be dry, where it hasn't even rained at all.

Driving in rain we all have learned how to do.

THat is why I never understand why they call forida the sunshine state.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Oh oh I got one for all you Southerners...why the need to drive like an old lady when it rains? Its just rain! Lol. Also as we got to Georgia like three people tried running us off the road! It was crazy. I miss the North. :(

mama3p
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

As a Canadian, let me just say, it goes both ways. I just love it when American visitors ridicule our currency. My personal favourite is when a group of Americans, all driving big ass trailers, form a convoy 6 trailers long on a single lane, windy road, and they go 60 km in a 90 km zone. That's sooo much fun. And the best part, when they get to a signed pull-out, where it says "Slower Vehicles Pull-Out HERE to Allow Others to Pass", they just keep toodling along, because, well, the rules don't apply to Americans, don't you know. And my most favourite part is when they complain about Canadian Customs who had the audacity to not let them in our country with their guns. Oh, wait, I also love the way they like to argue about our, gasp, progressiveness, and how we're all bleeding heart liberals for allowing everyone equal rights and access to health care. So enlightening, discussions with Americans. I'm so thankful we whupped your asses back in 1812....

LMAO! Best reply ever!
Josie_P
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I feel your pain!! It's almost tourist season here. I try to steer clear of the places I know tourists will be at. 

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

That is the exact same way I felt when I lived in upstate NY and the "summer" people would show up.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Well those snow birds arent from NY otherwise theyd cut you off and leave your slow ass in the dust
Lol
And if they are going slow, its probably because they dont know were they are going. So you should be happy
Most accidents that occur in Fl are from the locals themselves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)