Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate tourists and snow birds

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I live in a beach area of Florida. I hate from November to April and June to October. Snow birds drive slower than poop. My child had violin lessons today across town, and a snow bird was going 25 mph in a 45 mph zone.

The tourists are worse. When you come visit an area, people here are not here as a service to you.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

My suggestion to you is that you move. I mean you only like one month out of the year because of tourists and snow birds, maybe you should live somewhere that there isn't any tourists and snow birds. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I lived near Canada when we were stationed in Minot.  I don't ridicule the accent, because most people in No Dak have the same accent.  Although on the other hand, there Canadians who come here and expect us to take Canadian money.  In border states, yeah, in Florida ummm no.

Quoting Anonymous:

As a Canadian, let me just say, it goes both ways. I just love it when American visitors ridicule our currency. My personal favourite is when a group of Americans, all driving big ass trailers, form a convoy 6 trailers long on a single lane, windy road, and they go 60 km in a 90 km zone. That's sooo much fun. And the best part, when they get to a signed pull-out, where it says "Slower Vehicles Pull-Out HERE to Allow Others to Pass", they just keep toodling along, because, well, the rules don't apply to Americans, don't you know. And my most favourite part is when they complain about Canadian Customs who had the audacity to not let them in our country with their guns. Oh, wait, I also love the way they like to argue about our, gasp, progressiveness, and how we're all bleeding heart liberals for allowing everyone equal rights and access to health care. So enlightening, discussions with Americans. I'm so thankful we whupped your asses back in 1812....

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I have NO choice.  I am MILITARY...  I can't move.  I have a child on EFMP, we were turned down for FIVE different assignments, because of his needs.  THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT WOULD TAKE US.  So I have to suck it up.

My hope in some people reading this, is to make you aware, and maybe when you go on vacation think about the locals who don't work for the tourism industry and be a little bit nicer, clean up after yourselves, and not drink and drive cars OR boats.

Quoting Anonymous:

My suggestion to you is that you move. I mean you only like one month out of the year because of tourists and snow birds, maybe you should live somewhere that there isn't any tourists and snow birds. 

MsEmma88
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Oui. We have summer people and winter people. They keep our businesses running. However we all have hunting licenses for "tourist season"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this
See I understand that kind of rain but I see people here in GA driving slow when it.sprinkles lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

if you think all southern drive like old ladies  when it rain, then you have never been in florida. those of us who live in florida drive in rain all the time, summer time that is ALLLLLL IT does is rain. but it doesn't just rain, it pours. Rains so hard you can't see the road. Or it will be raining so hard  you can't see the road in one  spot and 5 min up the road, the road will be dry, where it hasn't even rained at all.

Driving in rain we all have learned how to do.

THat is why I never understand why they call forida the sunshine state.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Oh oh I got one for all you Southerners...why the need to drive like an old lady when it rains? Its just rain! Lol. Also as we got to Georgia like three people tried running us off the road! It was crazy. I miss the North. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I ❤ both bc they bring $$ to the state and that means no state income tax.
ToolArmy066
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Damn french canadians!! I'm here in south florida and there's this park across the street from my parents house where they have a loud party type thing and you have to listen to this polka type music all day. It happens every wenesday during winter. It's been the same thing since I was living there, has to be over 10 years at least. Don't get me started on them at the beach and the old men in the speedos *shudders*
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I agree - I'm married to one. Damn French Canadians and their speedos and loud music. How's a girl supposed to get anything done?

Quoting ToolArmy066:

Damn french canadians!! I'm here in south florida and there's this park across the street from my parents house where they have a loud party type thing and you have to listen to this polka type music all day. It happens every wenesday during winter. It's been the same thing since I was living there, has to be over 10 years at least. Don't get me started on them at the beach and the old men in the speedos *shudders*

ToolArmy066
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Some of my family on my grandmothers side is too lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree - I'm married to one. Damn French Canadians and their speedos and loud music. How's a girl supposed to get anything done?

Quoting ToolArmy066:

JacksonGirl
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM
How does an old person driving slow mark them as a Snowbird to you? Older people seem to drive slower weather they are locals or tourist.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)