Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

what dog is a good guard dog?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 148 Replies
I want to get another dog to protect us. We have a large lab/chow mix that outside most the time. She will bark if someone is around but will not bite. She looks really scary. Anyways I want a dog for inside. Maybe a medium-sized dog. Has to be nice with kids and willing to protect. What kind do you suggest? Also pits make me nervous.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Bump
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

You need to train a dog to be a guard dog. but generlaly any type of shepherd or cattle dog will be a good watch dog.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Are cattle dogs ok with kids? I was thinking they aren't, but I could be wrong. I know Aussies have a bad rep with kids.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

You need to train a dog to be a guard dog. but generlaly any type of shepherd or cattle dog will be a good watch dog.

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM
6 moms liked this

Bring the Chow/Lab inside... easy.

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I don't really subscribe to breed generalizations, if you train them correctly absolutely. They have a strong instinct to protect (and yes herd) their families. So you have to have a strong alpha relationship and enforce their children's hierarchy to the dog, but they are very very loyal and protective.

Quoting harehelper:

Are cattle dogs ok with kids? I was thinking they aren't, but I could be wrong. I know Aussies have a bad rep with kids.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Our german shepherd is the best dog ever.  She'll let a toddler beat the crap out of her, but won't let a person enter our yard unless I say it's okay.

kidlover2
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Any big dog with a bark. I had a Doberman which I adored. But they are super smart and need a lot of training.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

German shep

FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Quoting LLbaby143:

German shep

Aislinn
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

A well bred, well trained German Shepard cannot be beat, IMO. A not well bred, untrained German Shepard can be really bad news, though. You can find smaller Shepherd breeds, but generally they are on the bigger side.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)