Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Looking to buy a car and need help being able to negotiate the price....Help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

In the next few days to next few weeks my SO and I are going to be purchasing a vehicle and we will be getting a loan to help pay for it but we are trying to get a cheaper car so we don't have payments forever. Anyways we have found on we are liking and the price seems reasonable but we are wanting to see if we can get the dealership to go any lower. Any tips on being able to get the price down?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prenatalRN
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM

sometimes getting the price down is hard but try adding on extras like a year of free oil changes, extended warranty, all weather mats, security system etc. when you add all those up it really can be a lot of money you save in the long run.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM

That is a good idea. I never thought about adding anything. Thank you. :)

Quoting prenatalRN:

sometimes getting the price down is hard but try adding on extras like a year of free oil changes, extended warranty, all weather mats, security system etc. when you add all those up it really can be a lot of money you save in the long run.

Katenemsmom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Uncomfortable silence. Be patient and prepared to wait.

If you are buying a new car tell them you have a Costco membership. They have already negotiated a good price.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I got a great deal on my first car by buying at the end of the month. At the end fo the month dealerships are trying to get rid of their inventory.

angie729
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM

http://www.edmunds.com/

This site has good tips for buying a car.

chane_L
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM

try and get a pre-approve loan thru your bank or credit union go to kbb.com to get real prices. Stick to walking away if you aren't told what you want. make sure to check recall lists and edmonds.com for reviews 1st. 

if it has a CVT transmission be prepared to dump about 4-5grand every 100 thousand miles on a new 1 ( THEY CAN'T BE REBUILT, some places will put 1 from a totaled car in and tell you it was fixed)

usually at a dealership you have about 2-8% to play with if the car is used get a car fax and an autocheck report (you want both)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I will check it out ASAP!

Quoting angie729:

http://www.edmunds.com/

This site has good tips for buying a car.

msalice_21
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
I always researched the vehicles and looked at kelly blue book value. Car sales men dont like me. They automatically assume i dont know squat about the car and feed me a ton of bullshit. And when i dont, i whip out the phone and check it out online. They hate that. Lol! Tell them the payment you are wanting and stick to it! Find a vehicle in that price range and most of the time they will lower car prices to fit it. I did that with my camry. They wanted me to pay $100 over my payment plan. I said no and i started walking out. They suddenly dropped an extra $1000 even after telling me they couldnt do it. They werent happy but im assuming they needed the sale lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM
First is it a big dealership? If so there is really no talking them down. If its a small place like buy here pay here type place then there is hope. I found a 2001 Durango at a small place and the guy was asking right under the kbb on it. Kbb was 5000 or so he was asking 4500. Well it had bald tires ( no problem for me I get a good deal on tires) but I got 500 knocked off the price so we are at 4000 now. It has rust spots and chips in the paint, those need fixed ASAP so that was 1000 off cause it just needs sanded down rust spots fixed and a paint job. I have a guy that will do all the work for 900. So we are at 3000. Security system is messed up and I have to take it to a dealer to fix it that will cost me 50 just for them to look at it. Oh and I have a lifter knocking, those 2 issues will cost me about a grand so the guy knocked off another 1000 so here we are at 2000. That is what I paid well it was 2200 after taxes and fees. I could double my money on my Durango if I parted out on just one thing under it. There is a 4 inch suspension lift kit with another 4 inches that could be used. Dh is a mechanic and an off roader he has put those lift kits into vehicles many times and knows what they run. He said just for that kit alone I could get 4 grand. He hates my rear axle is better than his in his jeep. It's worth a few hundred in the 4 wheeling world.
Basically if you have a friend that is a mechanic take them with and have them check it out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Anybody feel it's different if a man is present with you? Anybody feel like because of that it's a good idea to have a man there? I'm curious. Not that I'd agree with the situation but if they're going to profile me then I'd play the same game. You know. Play the part so to speak.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)