Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm banning gum and candy from my house!

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 274 Replies
8 moms liked this

Since the kids don't seem to know how to keep it in their mouths or throw it away when they are done. Every single time dh's kids come to visit I find gum stuck on tables and furniture. It's disgusting!!! Last night I found a dum dum stuck to the bed in their room and another one opened on the floor. I am sick of it, so I want to ban it all! Dh always buys them gum as a treat, but I'm the one walking around finding it stuck all over the place and when I ask whose it is no one will own up to it. When I was a kid we were not allowed to chew gum except on special occasions, I suspect for this very reason. lol

Thoughts? Is that fair? Do you allow gum and candy in your home?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2891
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this
I will get it as a treat but they have to sit at the table, especially if its candy, until they are done. I am tired of finding candy all but melted on my furniture and carpet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

how old are the kids, OP?  i would ban it too, until they are old enough to throw away their garbage. 

NNB
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

No sweets ever here!

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Candy was a huge treat for my kids. Not an every day or even once a week thing. Gum we pretty much didn't buy. I don't chew it and neither does dh. I would flip if I found candy or gum stuck to furniture or bedding. Like you said That's just NASTY.

Artillwife01
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

we don't keep it in the house or use it as a treat very often but it is limited to the table at our house. good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear ya. We are on Popsicle pop and have been for 2 years. They seem unable to throw the sticks away....
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

yes thats fair.

EvilAsh
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My kids are too young for gum and rarely have candy. Not really an issue here. They know to throw their trash away though.

elijahXmom
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I did at my house for a few years. I did give it back. My braking point was pulling a bed cover out of dryer with gum all over it and the dryer.

Quoting Luna091306:

Since the kids don't seem to know how to keep it in their mouths or throw it away when they are done. Every single time dh's kids come to visit I find gum stuck on tables and furniture. It's disgusting!!! Last night I found a dum dum stuck to the bed in their room and another one opened on the floor. I am sick of it, so I want to ban it all! Dh always buys them gum as a treat, but I'm the one walking around finding it stuck all over the place and when I ask whose it is no one will own up to it. When I was a kid we were not allowed to chew gum except on special occasions, I suspect for this very reason. lol

Thoughts? Is that fair? Do you allow gum and candy in your home?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jen137
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

We have banned gum in my house as well..My SO hates it anyways lol..but we have found it on the carpet and floors and so now our new rule is no more gum in the house..they can chew it outside..but as soon as they come in its going in the garbage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured