Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm banning gum and candy from my house!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since the kids don't seem to know how to keep it in their mouths or throw it away when they are done. Every single time dh's kids come to visit I find gum stuck on tables and furniture. It's disgusting!!! Last night I found a dum dum stuck to the bed in their room and another one opened on the floor. I am sick of it, so I want to ban it all! Dh always buys them gum as a treat, but I'm the one walking around finding it stuck all over the place and when I ask whose it is no one will own up to it. When I was a kid we were not allowed to chew gum except on special occasions, I suspect for this very reason. lol

Thoughts? Is that fair? Do you allow gum and candy in your home?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (21-30):
Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I've warned them I don't know how many times.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Yeah well I was gonna say your mean. But in that case I would too. If it does not stay in their mouth they don't get it.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM
I allow it but my kid knows where the trash can is...we also have a no eating/drinking in the bedroom rule.

Yes, its fair to ban it if they aren't respectful of your things and not responsible enough to throw it away when they are done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Ohhh yes....gun is banned from my house, unless it us in my mouth;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
indyb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We went through a gum banning stage,  we never had problems with candy though.  They have since learned to chew gum properly so they now get gum again!

gofast_mama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

We don't have sweets of any kind in my house, no point! 

jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds fair to me! I would probably do the same if that was happening!
kngarber
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Omg they are all too old for that ! I would flip.

Quoting Luna091306:

12, 11, 9, and 5. I suspect it is the 9 and 5 year old. My dd is 6, but she knows better. I only have the issue when the other kids come over. Really, I was never big on gum. I never buy it but dh does because the kids always ask.

Quoting aphrodite7400:

how old are the kids, OP?  i would ban it too, until they are old enough to throw away their garbage. 

Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yup! I have that issue too. They also bring candy over so I think from now on it will be put up until they go home.

Quoting Stephd710:

I used to.  When I was a stepmom I had the same problem as you.  The kids would come for their visits.  Their gma would spoil them with candy, which they brought to my house.  I started finding wrappers EVERYWHERE.  So finally after a few times of this, I said no more candy.  They could leave it at her house, but if they brought it home, I took it until it was time for them to go home.  I cleaned out under the couch after one of their visits and I bet there was about 100 Jolly Rancher, Starburst, and dum dum wrappers under there. 

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Dd (6) isn't allowed to chew gum. She is allowed candy once in a while, usually around holidays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JsMommy1003
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Yes We have it in the house But When My son gets it We Keep an eye on him to make sure he doesnt stick it anywhere. Last time We didn't pay attention to that sort of thing he stuck his gum to my nieces thigh (she was about 10 mths) and It took forever to work it off her skin without hurting her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN