Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm banning gum and candy from my house!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since the kids don't seem to know how to keep it in their mouths or throw it away when they are done. Every single time dh's kids come to visit I find gum stuck on tables and furniture. It's disgusting!!! Last night I found a dum dum stuck to the bed in their room and another one opened on the floor. I am sick of it, so I want to ban it all! Dh always buys them gum as a treat, but I'm the one walking around finding it stuck all over the place and when I ask whose it is no one will own up to it. When I was a kid we were not allowed to chew gum except on special occasions, I suspect for this very reason. lol

Thoughts? Is that fair? Do you allow gum and candy in your home?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (31-40):
babygirl4326
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I have BANNED gum for this reason!! I am working on banning candy too, you are not alone.

kolbiesmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM
My kids aren't allowed to have gum in my house or my car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

They are old enough to know better. I don't know how to teach them to throw trash away at this point. It's something you would think they would already know. My dd is 6 and she knows to throw her trash away including candy or gum, which she doesn't get often anyways. The two that I suspect are doing it are 9 and 5.

Quoting abra:

I think it is extreme. You have to teach them how to eat it while being kind to their neighbor by not making a mess of it. We don't each much candy, but when we do, they learned how to eat it without causing problems.

Rach0307
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

We allow it, but my son is meticulous about cleaning up wrappers or throwing his gum out in the trash. We all chew gum, especially DH, so he's grown up with it around. He's only 3, but doesn't like stickiness or food mess in his living space (DH and I spill more than he does, haha). Honestly, if it was that messy and I was always scraping chewed gum off of furniture, I would ban it too!

TerriAnne2606
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

No gum and I only allow candy very rarely.  I don't keep a stash anyplace. She can have an apple or some celery.  much better for her anyway.  My older boys (now mostly out of the house) were fine with it and so is DD.  As a matter of fact, they've never really had the sweet tooth either.  

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I allow gum, yes. But if I found it around like you, I would ban it, too. There are a few ways you can handle this. 1. Your DH wants to feel like he's treating them to something they enjoy and that is special. You can approach him about the gum/candy issue and explore different options for "treats" that won't be as sticky and messy. For example: Does one of them like those cheap matchbox cars? Do they have dolls they like to dress up, or like to wear kiddie makeup and hair things? Do they enjoy old movies you can pick up at a CD Tradepost for cheap? Perhaps he can bake brownies with them and eat at the table while they are still warm and gooey? Or for a healthy alternative, they can dip fruit in chocolate. 2. My DH is stubborn. Does your DH SEE the mess being made? If not, I'd take each piece I found stuck to something and lay it on a napkin on his pillow or somewhere else he would have to deal with it to go abut his daily life. That way he can't ignore all the half-eaten, hairy, sticky mess. But with the napkin there he doesn't actually have to sleep on sticky stuff. Maybe if he could SEE how these "treats" were being treated he take a new approach more easily? (I feel like with my DH any point I make has to be visual and has to somehow affect him or he just doesn't get it. the candy on the pillow or at his seat at the table, or somewhere else he can't ignore it would get that point across. But do use a napkin, you want to make a point but not be mean and make a mess of his spot.) 3. You can dictate that candy and gum must be at the table like all other foods. They can bring books or something to the table to do while they enjoy the treat, but it stays at the table until gone or they throw it away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have that problem and my kids are young.

Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Good to know! lol :)

Quoting babygirl4326:

I have BANNED gum for this reason!! I am working on banning candy too, you are not alone.

HaleyCovington
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

If they can't obide by the rules and keep it in their mouth then no they don't need it.

NoahandEliza
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Popsicles are either a summertime, outside deal or in the bath. Sticks go in the bathroom trash can and sticky, drippy juice stays off the floor.

Quoting Anonymous:

I hear ya. We are on Popsicle pop and have been for 2 years. They seem unable to throw the sticks away....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN