Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm banning gum and candy from my house!

Posted by   + Show Post

Since the kids don't seem to know how to keep it in their mouths or throw it away when they are done. Every single time dh's kids come to visit I find gum stuck on tables and furniture. It's disgusting!!! Last night I found a dum dum stuck to the bed in their room and another one opened on the floor. I am sick of it, so I want to ban it all! Dh always buys them gum as a treat, but I'm the one walking around finding it stuck all over the place and when I ask whose it is no one will own up to it. When I was a kid we were not allowed to chew gum except on special occasions, I suspect for this very reason. lol

Thoughts? Is that fair? Do you allow gum and candy in your home?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (41-50):
mom2ljh
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
He's not allowed to just wander around with Candy, no. Candy and gum are kept out of reach. He must ask for it, receive permission then eat it in the kitchen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I never had the problem either with dd. I taught her at a young age to throw trash away and put her plate in the sink. Also, put clothes in the hamper. I don't even have to tell her now, she just does it. Dh's kids were older when I met them. Now, I don't know if it happens at their house or not. I've been in the home and it always seems clean. I don't know if they were doing it because their dad let them get away with it or what. I'm just putting my foot down. I already told dh and he agreed so hopefully he sticks to it as well. I found two pieces of gum on my end table, one last night and one this morning. Plus, the two dum dums. I'm done with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't have that problem and my kids are young.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM
We banned gun from in our house or vehicles for a while with dd because she would stick it to the cup holders on her car seat or drop it on the bathroom right infront of the trash can or on her table in the play room I was crazy. But now it's not an issue. And she is 6. I would at least make sure it all says outside Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM
My step kids are NOT allowed to have gum at all while in my house, and no food what so ever in their room. When they were allowed to have gum the final straw was when they spit it out in my silverware drawer
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Do you get along with them well?  Are they old enough that maybe they do it just to get to you?

ATG499
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM
The only candy we have was given by DS's classmates. We have gum, but I'm the only one who eats it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfy88
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM
They are old enough for consequences! Talk to your husband about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

We already have hundreds if not thousands of match box cars. lol Dh used to collect them. But I am sure we can come up with an alternative. He never really saw the mess because he doesn't really pay attention. Last night I pointed the piece I found out. He wasn't happy. I'm glad he has agreed not to buy anymore. We will give them another chance later on and see how it goes. As soon as it happens again, another ban will be put in place. lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I allow gum, yes. But if I found it around like you, I would ban it, too. There are a few ways you can handle this. 1. Your DH wants to feel like he's treating them to something they enjoy and that is special. You can approach him about the gum/candy issue and explore different options for "treats" that won't be as sticky and messy. For example: Does one of them like those cheap matchbox cars? Do they have dolls they like to dress up, or like to wear kiddie makeup and hair things? Do they enjoy old movies you can pick up at a CD Tradepost for cheap? Perhaps he can bake brownies with them and eat at the table while they are still warm and gooey? Or for a healthy alternative, they can dip fruit in chocolate. 2. My DH is stubborn. Does your DH SEE the mess being made? If not, I'd take each piece I found stuck to something and lay it on a napkin on his pillow or somewhere else he would have to deal with it to go abut his daily life. That way he can't ignore all the half-eaten, hairy, sticky mess. But with the napkin there he doesn't actually have to sleep on sticky stuff. Maybe if he could SEE how these "treats" were being treated he take a new approach more easily? (I feel like with my DH any point I make has to be visual and has to somehow affect him or he just doesn't get it. the candy on the pillow or at his seat at the table, or somewhere else he can't ignore it would get that point across. But do use a napkin, you want to make a point but not be mean and make a mess of his spot.) 3. You can dictate that candy and gum must be at the table like all other foods. They can bring books or something to the table to do while they enjoy the treat, but it stays at the table until gone or they throw it away.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Best of luck!

Quoting Luna091306:

We already have hundreds if not thousands of match box cars. lol Dh used to collect them. But I am sure we can come up with an alternative. He never really saw the mess because he doesn't really pay attention. Last night I pointed the piece I found out. He wasn't happy. I'm glad he has agreed not to buy anymore. We will give them another chance later on and see how it goes. As soon as it happens again, another ban will be put in place. lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I allow gum, yes. But if I found it around like you, I would ban it, too. There are a few ways you can handle this. 1. Your DH wants to feel like he's treating them to something they enjoy and that is special. You can approach him about the gum/candy issue and explore different options for "treats" that won't be as sticky and messy. For example: Does one of them like those cheap matchbox cars? Do they have dolls they like to dress up, or like to wear kiddie makeup and hair things? Do they enjoy old movies you can pick up at a CD Tradepost for cheap? Perhaps he can bake brownies with them and eat at the table while they are still warm and gooey? Or for a healthy alternative, they can dip fruit in chocolate. 2. My DH is stubborn. Does your DH SEE the mess being made? If not, I'd take each piece I found stuck to something and lay it on a napkin on his pillow or somewhere else he would have to deal with it to go abut his daily life. That way he can't ignore all the half-eaten, hairy, sticky mess. But with the napkin there he doesn't actually have to sleep on sticky stuff. Maybe if he could SEE how these "treats" were being treated he take a new approach more easily? (I feel like with my DH any point I make has to be visual and has to somehow affect him or he just doesn't get it. the candy on the pillow or at his seat at the table, or somewhere else he can't ignore it would get that point across. But do use a napkin, you want to make a point but not be mean and make a mess of his spot.) 3. You can dictate that candy and gum must be at the table like all other foods. They can bring books or something to the table to do while they enjoy the treat, but it stays at the table until gone or they throw it away.

Luna091306
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

As far as I know we get along. lol I would hate to think that would be the case. I know they know it bothers me but they've never seemed to do anything else out of spite or shown hatred towards me. They always want to come over even when they know it will be just me here.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you get along with them well?  Are they old enough that maybe they do it just to get to you?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)