Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

so now that the sequester happened. Will i be kicked off wic instantly? or will it be a gradual thing??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

How exactly is this going to work?

I know, at our WIC office there was a sign up last month wanting you to sign because if they let it happen 600,000 will lose their WIC,

So when will we know when and if we are getting kicked off?

I probably should have been paying attention to the news because i never would have dreamed the government would allow this to happen.

edited

this was the exact same thing that was up at our wic office. this is from the national wic association

I never asked for you people to bash me for gettign WIC.

I AM IN TEH MILITARY. I work. I don't sit on my ass all day. I work hard, not everyone on WIC is a low life piece of trash.

I am sorry for even asking the question, but i thought since this is one of the most popular CM groups, someone would know the answer.

Be a voice for the work that you do and the families that you serve in order to help protect WIC from devastating budget cuts that will go into effect in March 2013 if Congress fails to agree to an alternative strategy to reduce the national debt. These budget cuts are known as sequestration. If Congress is able to reach an alternative deal to reduce the federal debt by March 2013, then sequestration will not occur. If they are unable to reach a deal in time, sequestration will occur and WIC will receive an 5.1% cut, or the equivalent of removing 600,000 mothers and young children from the program, nationally.

The President and Congressional leaders have signaled that they intend to find informed spending cuts and revenue to avoid sequestration. But, it is up to us to motivate them to follow through with their intentions and protect WIC. As passionate service providers, you all are important voices for WIC, speaking to the nutrition and breastfeeding successes of the program and representing the millions of families served by the program. Congress needs to hear from you why WIC is so important to the communities that they represent and the real human consequences of cutting funding from the program.

What you can do:

Communicate the following message to your Senators and Representative in Congress:

WIC helps my community by ____________ (e.g. serving X number of at-risk mothers and young children, helping them access healthy nutrition information, nutritious foods, etc.) Cutting funding from WIC would mean____________ for my community.

http://www.nwica.org/?q=advocacy/1

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM

i thought it only affected certain federal programs.  You should be fine.

Jcothrine
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM

i haven't heard anything about this so BUMP for others... i am interested in this answer too..even though

i am no longer a baby making mama... and my kids are older..

i forsee my middle son knocking up his girlfriend pretty soon...as she was off birth control for months because she "couldn't afford it" and he wasn't wearing condoms.. argh!

i just found this out today and flipped my lid.. he is 20 but has no job.... sighs....

JC

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

WIC is one of those programs.

600,000 people will lose their WIC as will people who use childcare assistance and headstart.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM
It doesnt end WIC. I was there yesterday. There was no sign up.
armywife009
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I thought WIC was privately funded? I don't know a whole lot about these things. Bump for you.

KelissaMaye
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM
My WIC office didn't mention anything about it last week. Hmm.
Here's a bump.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM
If my hubbys job furloughs, we are going to hurt some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

It doesnt end WIC. I was there yesterday. There was no sign up.

I never said it will end it. i said they have to cut women and children.

Our WIC office had a sign up just last month. hang on i'll see if i can find something online.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Well, here is a link I found on the WIC cuts.  What state do you live in?  I think your best bet is to call the local office, but you're probably going to have to wait it out and see what happens.  Best of luck.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57571888/new-mom-sequester-cuts-to-womens-center-would-break-my-heart/

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

WIC is one of those programs.

600,000 people will lose their WIC as will people who use childcare assistance and headstart.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Quoting KelissaMaye:

My WIC office didn't mention anything about it last week. Hmm.
Here's a bump.

http://www.nwica.org/?q=advocacy/1

this is from the national wic associations page and is the exact same thing our wic office had up last month

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN