Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is it better to furlough people instead of shaving off some of the billions spent on welfare?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Several of my friends are government employees and I think it sucks that if a deal is not reached they have to lose 20% of their pay but we're still going to pay out the billions that go toward welfare.  Why do working people have to sacrifice their pay so that entitlement programs can still be funded?  I know there are some people who need PA, the disabled, elderly, etc.  But there are many who don't need it they just choose to use it because they don't want to work.  It sucks that people who are working will be put into a financial bind but those receiving handouts will keep getting them like nothing happened.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Replies (61-70):
mommaharley
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that they need to just make it harder to get PA. Make more requirements and treat it differently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I'm sorry, it sucks. I shouldn't say we won't be filling. Because we will if we have to, I'm just hoping we can get by without. There's not much left for us to cut back, but I think we can squeeze a bit out.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's the boat we are in right now and we will be filing for PA because that is the only way we are going to make it, we can't cut anything else. 

Quoting Anonymous:

DH might be one of those getting a cut. And the funny thing is, we're so tight on money that a drop would probably qualify us for pa. And we'd probably get more than we lost. That's messed up. (Hypothetically, we won't be filing for pa)

alimorgan
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I was watching the news earlier and a report came on advising that 1 in 2 children are on some sort of state funded program in the United states. Do you know that 13 million children go hungry in the US on a daily basis, even with the programs offered, thats 1 in 10 children.

If my husbands taxes are putting food an the table of a family that is struggling no matter why and that money is feeding their children, I really don't care, why do we continue to bitch about welfare when our government is continuing to fund other countries terrorist units.. are you ok with this? they send guns to the cartel.. this is OK?They send money and food, we have telethons for other countries, what about our own people, our own CHILDREN?

We assume we understand people on welfare, but truely most of us do not, we assume most are lazy and refuse to work, do you understand the unemployment rate in our country , The number of unemployed people 12.3 million.......these people are available to work and are unable to find work. I worked for a company that laid off over 500 people a year ago, only half of those were able to find gainful employment , the other half are still looking, unemployment has run out they are living hand to mouth, are they terrible people taking your money? They are taking it yes, but not by choice of their own, there are many that refuse to take assistance panhandling,selling their possessions trying desperately to make ends meet without the help of the government or YOU, that think they are sucking You dry.

The cuts will effect single mothers that are using the subsidised day care program because they can not afford to pay full cost for daycare, do you think they will be able to pay for the day care now. will they be able to cintinue to work?. for the mom's that ended up with a crappy end of the spectrum the dad refuses to help and has disappeared they can't find him, they have WIC oh well, maybe their baby will starve and You won't have to pay for it, maybe they should have thought of that before they spread their legs.. isn't this the mentality of a lot of mom's here at Cafemom?

look up what taxes you actually pay , take a look at the taxes the things you aren't even aware of, the site below asks you what your total income was and how you filed and it breaks down were and what you paid as far as taxes http://www.wheredidmytaxdollarsgo.com/

illinoismommy83
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I've always had a job. I don't know what they give you in free money, but I know that a CNA license is available at community colleges so its fundable on pell grants and starts you at $12+/hr in an in-demand market. 

Shave down TANF and... people could get a job! We even have day labor places and plasma donation in this country for those who need quick money.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

They do tend to give too much in foodstamps. Have you ever been on TANF? It's nowhere near enough to get by. Shave that down more and many people would be homeless.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

A family of 4 gets 600-some in food stamps per month. Surely they could survive on $500 food stamps and just buy store brand and less soda.

Not sure how people would be on the streets and starving simply because they had to buy store brands and drink water.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Likely because the poor are already very poor. 20% off of welfare would leave families who are barely making it out on the streets and starving.

IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

SOME do. At one point we were getting $624 for a family of four. Of course, my son has a shit ton of food allergies and with his specialized diet, we used it all.

What I hate is that it seems to be they either give you way too much or barely anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get $43 per month in fs for my four year old and myself. Too much fs my ass!!!!!

Quoting IFartGlitter:

They do tend to give too much in foodstamps. Have you ever been on TANF? It's nowhere near enough to get by. Shave that down more and many people would be homeless.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

A family of 4 gets 600-some in food stamps per month. Surely they could survive on $500 food stamps and just buy store brand and less soda.

Not sure how people would be on the streets and starving simply because they had to buy store brands and drink water.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Likely because the poor are already very poor. 20% off of welfare would leave families who are barely making it out on the streets and starving.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I would love to see real welfare police. Kick tghe dealers and abusers right out of their welfare apartments.

And-- im pro pa!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Clearly you've been blessed.

It's not free money in most states. Welfare recipients are required to put in hours for their money, either in job search activities, education, or community service type work. Its 40 hours a week for like $300 a month. Does that add up to you?? MOST welfare recipients dont sit on their asses and collect a check.

Getting a job is not that easy when there are no jobs available. Sure, you could donate plasma. You'll get $50. But you can only donate twice a month! Day labor? In many places, no. Getting a job in an economy or location where there are a LOT of people unemployed and the jobs are scarce is not just as easy as applying and starting work next week.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

I've always had a job. I don't know what they give you in free money, but I know that a CNA license is available at community colleges so its fundable on pell grants and starts you at $12+/hr in an in-demand market. 

Shave down TANF and... people could get a job! We even have day labor places and plasma donation in this country for those who need quick money.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I agree. I really don't understand how they need so much in FS. I can easily feed 4 on 400 a month (we'd be eating like kings lol) ... If you shop smart, don't buy a bunch of crap and use coupons you can do it... Our grocery bill is usually only about $300 a month and we get a TON of healthy food.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure its hrd to believe but I also have problems with those things, but we are talking about one specific issue.  There are options in this country to get food for your child.  Poverty in the United States is nothing compared to poverty in many other countries.  Children here do not starve to death, if they do its because their caretakers starve them.  The poorest of the poor here live like kings compared to the places we are providing aid to.  Parents here have options to provide, its just easier to use the government.  In my area there are many places hiring and some jobs have been open for months but people feel they're too good for those jobs or want to make $25 an hour with no education or skills.

My children mean the world to me and any decent parent would feel the same way.  There is no way I would allow my children to starve as long as there is breath in my body, I'd work three jobs to make sure they were provided for.  If parents don't care enough to do what's necessary to provide for their children (disabled excluded) then why should they expect everyone else to do it?  Single moms, I feel for their situations but most of the ones I've come across with dead beat dads knew they were crap but had children with them anyway.  Maybe if women were more selective about who they had children with there wouldn't be such a problem.  It's all about responsibility.  If a man doesn't have a job, is lazy, and irresponsible don't have a child with him.

Quoting alimorgan:

I was watching the news earlier and a report came on advising that 1 in 2 children are on some sort of state funded program in the United states. Do you know that 13 million children go hungry in the US on a daily basis, even with the programs offered, thats 1 in 10 children.

If my husbands taxes are putting food an the table of a family that is struggling no matter why and that money is feeding their children, I really don't care, why do we continue to bitch about welfare when our government is continuing to fund other countries terrorist units.. are you ok with this? they send guns to the cartel.. this is OK?They send money and food, we have telethons for other countries, what about our own people, our own CHILDREN?

We assume we understand people on welfare, but truely most of us do not, we assume most are lazy and refuse to work, do you understand the unemployment rate in our country , The number of unemployed people 12.3 million.......these people are available to work and are unable to find work. I worked for a company that laid off over 500 people a year ago, only half of those were able to find gainful employment , the other half are still looking, unemployment has run out they are living hand to mouth, are they terrible people taking your money? They are taking it yes, but not by choice of their own, there are many that refuse to take assistance panhandling,selling their possessions trying desperately to make ends meet without the help of the government or YOU, that think they are sucking You dry.

The cuts will effect single mothers that are using the subsidised day care program because they can not afford to pay full cost for daycare, do you think they will be able to pay for the day care now. will they be able to cintinue to work?. for the mom's that ended up with a crappy end of the spectrum the dad refuses to help and has disappeared they can't find him, they have WIC oh well, maybe their baby will starve and You won't have to pay for it, maybe they should have thought of that before they spread their legs.. isn't this the mentality of a lot of mom's here at Cafemom?

look up what taxes you actually pay , take a look at the taxes the things you aren't even aware of, the site below asks you what your total income was and how you filed and it breaks down were and what you paid as far as taxes http://www.wheredidmytaxdollarsgo.com/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:00 PM
It's a numbers game. There are less govt employees than welfare recipients so they won't lose as many votes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)