Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autism or being 4?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies
my mom feels my son is behind socially and that he has aspergers. He has been dx with sensory processing disorder and that can mimic autism except the social skills part. The only social deficits he has are really sensory related(gives tight hugs or gets too close). And other things csn be blamed on age(interrupting, wanting to play his way only). He'll be 5 in June.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

doesnt sound like autism from that. Does he have other social issues? does he prefer to be alone or have trouble with new people? does he have trouble making eye contact? did he make eye contact and smile at the right age? etc 

kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Aspergers isnt even a dx anymore. They threw it all under Autism Spectrum Disorder. My son has classic Autism. Sensory issues suck all by themselves. Sensory Intergration Disorder is my sons secondary dx. If your worried just have him evaluated. It can't hurt. Better to be safe than sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Does NOT sound like autism.  Children with Aspergers tend to be socially awkward and actually fearful of social situations.  They don't hug others or show affection in any way really.  They don't like to make eye contact either.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Quoting svolkov:

doesnt sound like autism from that. Does he have other social issues? does he prefer to be alone or have trouble with new people? does he have trouble making eye contact? did he make eye contact and smile at the right age? etc 

no he doesnt make eye contact BUT thats a sign of spd too...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Aspergers isnt even a dx anymore. They threw it all under Autism Spectrum Disorder. My son has classic Autism. Sensory issues suck all by themselves. Sensory Intergration Disorder is my sons secondary dx. If your worried just have him evaluated. It can't hurt. Better to be safe than sorry.

he was evaluated last june and is due for a repeat this summer. last yr he probably was behind socially but seems to have caught up

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Does NOT sound like autism.  Children with Aspergers tend to be socially awkward and actually fearful of social situations.  They don't hug others or show affection in any way really.  They don't like to make eye contact either.  

he is really bad at eye contact but its a sign of spd anyways. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Why have all children here been diagnosed with some syndrome?   It's almost like some parents and grandparents want their child to have a syndrome as an excuse for not being gifted.  My children had no syndromes and have always been gifted.  I much prefer it this way.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM
My friends 5 year old was recently diagnosed with aspergers...after her mom insisted she take him for testing. I told her no way, he seems to be fine to me. He had a couple issues and the other things I attributed to being normal only child stuff. I was pretty surprised that they diagnosed him. But my friend feels a little relief and I guess they are going to get him to therapy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)