Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was told I shouldn't name my child what I want

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM
  • 207 Replies
1 mom liked this
My aunt and cousin both told my otger cousin I have no right to name my child after my mom. Her name was leashie Marie. She passed when I was 12. Me my sis and bro all said that we would use Marie for our oldest daughters middle name.

My sister had ger daughter and she has the Marie. Now I'm pregnant and if its a girl it will be Aubrey Marie. They said only my sister should since iur grandmother mother and her name is Marie. It shoild only be passed down with the oldest girls.

It upset me cause I'm my mothers child as well. We all want to honor her and this is our way of doing it. My family has always treated me like my mom wasn't my mom and my sister is the one who is the most important.

No matter what I will be naming her after my mom. My aunt is pissed I wont use her middle name. Well she isn't my mom and I don't really like her middle name. I know its stupid to be upset about I guess its just my hormones getting the best of me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TeamTARDIS
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:29 AM
10 moms liked this

Use Marie and tell them to name their own children something else if they want to be in control of naming a child. 
I didn't tell anyone in my family what my child was going to be named because I knew that they would want to stick their 2 cents in. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM
9 moms liked this

Name your kid what you want.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM
3 moms liked this

We have a family name... My great great aunt's 1st name, grandmas middle name, moms 1st name, my middle name... Well my little sister gave the name to her DD and I was fine with that, I'm considering using it for my DD (due this month) I kinda feel like since it's been used this generation that I might not but my mom and grandma think I should use it too... Anyway, my point is, no one in my family cares if we both use it and are even encouraging it.

ilana_ny
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM
13 moms liked this

Your mother, your child,your decision. 

Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this

so what, use marie. it is a very common middle name and it is beautiful! we have all used versions of lee and ann in our names. my mom is lee susan, my sister is shelly ann, i am leanne, and my daughter is cayla lee. my son is colin martin. martin was my husbands grandfather. my FIL's middle name is martin, my husband's middle name is martin, my husband has a cousin named martin (we call him marty), and another cousin that is shea martin. One of his female cousins had a baby named frank martin (unfortunately, he passed of SIDS). so, in sort, we have a whole hell of a lot of people with the name martin somewhere in the family. i think it is an awesome way to show love and to honor someone that meant a lot to you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this
You have every right to name baby as you'd like. Birth order doesn't take away that right.
amy1will
by Amethyst on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Thanks y'all. Like I said I know its stupid ti be upset. But it just pisses me off that they still treat me like this even after I went off about it years ago.
BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM
3 moms liked this
Screw all those buttwads. That is YOUR child, they can allllll get over it. Tell them if they don't like it, that they can kiss your ass. Good luck Hon, its a beautiful name.
DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:38 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting because I agree, and because I LOVE your screen name. :)

Quoting TeamTARDIS:

Use Marie and tell them to name their own children something else if they want to be in control of naming a child. 
I didn't tell anyone in my family what my child was going to be named because I knew that they would want to stick their 2 cents in. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM
7 moms liked this
It isn't stupid... they are being assholes. Name your child what you want and cry if you need to.. but make sure you give them all the middle finger at some point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN