Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How can I motivate my husband to help me with the yard? (mostly a rant)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Let me start by saying that my husband works 40 hours a week and I know he works hard and deserves to chill out on his days off. The problem is our yard and the outside of the house look like lazy white trash live here. The gutters on the roof are almost ready to fall off becuase he won't borrow a ladder to clean them out. He promised me 4 months ago when we got our dog he would fix the fence in the backyard and it still isn't done. I went away for the weekend last week and on my way out the door I realized the dog had gotten into the trash but I had to leave it because I was running late. I came home 3 days later and it was still there, except for it was all over the yard now. Also he hadn't picked up the dog poop the whole time I was gone. I finally got so tired of the leaves being all over the place that I went out and spent 2 hours raking up and now I have 10 huge piles in my yard. I wore my hands raw so I hired someone to fill the green waste can and sweep the driveway tomorrow. Plus do the backyard. The can only gets emptied every two weeks each pile will fill the can once. We need to find someone with a truck so we can bag it up and take it to the dump. Of course he isn't going to handle it and I'm going to have to nag and yell and scream about it for months. Long story short, I'M SICK OF IT! The place looks like garbage and nobody will help me! Half of these things I can't do myself. Our roomate doesn't work and he spends his whole day watching tv or surfing the internet. My husband won't ask him to do anything because they have been friends for ages and he doesn't want to piss him off.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
milfanyway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM
three options. Do it yourself, hire someone, move out till it's done. My mom always did the start it yourself trick. When my dad was procrastinating she would start a project herself, then he would rush in to 'show' her how to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I hired someone to finish raking and sweeping tomorrow, but I can't afford it all the time. Its embarrassing because his Uncle own's this house and gave us a major break on the rent. The place looks like trash and you can tell he hates it.

Quoting milfanyway:

three options. Do it yourself, hire someone, move out till it's done. My mom always did the start it yourself trick. When my dad was procrastinating she would start a project herself, then he would rush in to 'show' her how to do it.

TammyMom2four
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Tell him to do it or hire somebody, simple.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I wish it was that simple, but we can't afford to pay for it all the time.
Quoting TammyMom2four:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Unplug the cable and Internet and tell the bum to get out in he yard and help out since he doesn't have a job. He should be doing something. 

Also talk to the uncle and ask him to say something.

if you are good at writing things up you can go online and type something that looks like a letter from the city(get it online) stating the place needs to be cleaned up within 5 days or whatever. You can get a list of city codes from city hall to staple to your letter.  I've done that for a few friends. You can find anything online

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Unplug the cable and Internet and tell the bum to get out in he yard and help out since he doesn't have a job. He should be doing something. 

Also talk to the uncle and ask him to say something.

if you are good at writing things up you can go online and type something that looks like a letter from the city(get it online) stating the place needs to be cleaned up within 5 days or whatever. You can get a list of city codes from city hall to staple to your letter.  I've done that for a few friends. You can find anything online

audreesmama
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Let him know you cancelled cable to afford people to care for your yard, since he couldn't find the time. 

See if he finds the time now.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wish it was that simple, but we can't afford to pay for it all the time.
Quoting TammyMom2four:

marihla
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I would do it myself and not cook dinner or do any laundry until it's done. He might just take over. Maybe he'd wash some dishes. Probably not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Why does he say that he doesn't get these things done?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Becuase he works hard, which is true. But in my opinion, that's no excuse for the yard to look like garbage. He should hire someone or make the lazy roommate do it. All my neighbors yards are neatly raked up. I'm surpised that the Homeowner's association hasn't told us to clean it up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why does he say that he doesn't get these things done?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)