Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's the point of sending BD/EXDH to jail for unpaid CS/SS and you won't get money?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

Really? This goes for child support, spousal support and alimony. In my state spousal support is when you still have to pay when you're still married and have to pay til the payee dies. Alimony as you all know is money paid after the divorce. Are you the one that takes action to tell your lawyer or tell the court if you have no lawyer that 'hey my ex/bd is behind in $_____ of child support/spousal/alimony I want to file a contempt or have him arrested." Is that how it works? What justice would that do besides scare him to pay or find a job or get a better paying job if one is seeking more money for support? Say the man has shown good cause by showing proof of how many jobs he applied to. Would you still be cold and let the man rot in jail for life or a few years and receive no money? Unless the court makes them do jobs at jail and the money they earn all goes to the ex wife/baby mama?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jbirdsladie27
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I don't understand the whole they go to jail for not paying thing, you're not getting jack shit if they're in jail.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coleysmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM
4 moms liked this
Because deadbeats miraculously find a way to pay when it means they have to suffer.

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM
My kids' father owes me 25G. I rather see him in jail if he has no plan to pay whatsoever....
conweis
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM
They don't throw s guy in jail unless he refuses to pay or get a job. He can go to court and file papers if he is out of work
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM
4 moms liked this

If a custodial parent kept all of their money for themselves and did not care for the children, they would be arrested for child neglect, in my opinion a non-custodial parent that does not pay their child support is guilty of that crime and should be arrested!

Jcothrine
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM

i don't understand this either.. i think maybe the reason they jail some people for it is because it makes other men straighten up and pay..because obviously the men who are in jail can't pay ?

so i think this is a useful threat but not useful in reality....

even if they made them work in jail it would be for pennies..... because most prisoners have some sort of job making pennies an hour.....

not even minimum wage..and they usually can use that money to buy snacks and stuff....

JC

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Quoting conweis:

They don't throw s guy in jail unless he refuses to pay or get a job. He can go to court and file papers if he is out of work

They were ready to throw my ex in jail since he didn't have a lump sum but since he had stacks of papers showing all the jobs he applied to and had upcoming interviews along with rejections they let him off the hook but still had to pay me over $1000 by the end of the week or he would've been put in jail. I found out he got the money from his grandma.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I agree..as far as child support goes, I think the whole thing needs a major overhaul. I think it should all depend on if the dad wants to be in the kids life and is involved. A father who is doing everything in his power to provide and be there should not end up in jail because he is unable to pay fully. It does no good for the kid for him to be in jail, and you certainly aren't going to get anything if he is locked up.

TigressLily
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Child support cases that are court ordered usually come directly out of the paychecks and tax refunds {if there are back taxes}. If the parent paying child support has no job, the back CS builds up, and once it gets so high, the court/law sends that parent to jail/prison, and is made to look for jobs and is let out on work release, only to go back "home" to jail until the child support is caught up. That's what I know about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM

From his gran? Do you not think thats awful? He's trying to pay and find a job... wow!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting conweis:

They were ready to throw my ex in jail since he didn't have a lump sum but since he had stacks of papers showing all the jobs he applied to and had upcoming interviews along with rejections they let him off the hook but still had to pay me over $1000 by the end of the week or he would've been put in jail. I found out he got the money from his grandma.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)