Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG! You do WHAT with your child?!?!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

I found this article hilarious!  Yes I know it is old but to even think that this would be written up into an article for a news site still makes me giggle. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/23/dad-backpacks-with-baby_n_1826139.html

Dad Backpacks With Baby (PHOTO)

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted: 08/23/2012 6:55 pm Updated: 08/24/2012 7:33 am

Just about everything changes once a family welcomes a baby, but one dad has a solution for making sure that his favorite pastime doesn't become something from, well, the past.

He loves backpacking; he has a baby, and so, he backpacks with his baby.

(Story continues below)

Photo credit: Imgur

"Don't be scared to try it!" the Reddit user "humaniteer" wrote on a recent thread, before explaining that he started hiking with his daughter when she was just two days old. (He used a Moby wrap back then, but has since upgraded to the Kelty backpack pictured above.)

At 13-months old, the little girl already has 250 miles of trails under her belt. And one unexpected perk?

"She falls asleep everytime we hike, both going up and coming down," he wrote.

Of course, there can be pitfalls to heading out for a hike with a baby for the first time.

Blogger OffBeat Mama notes that moms should consider underestimating how much energy they'll have, because breastfeeding along the hike might take more energy -- not to mention more time -- than they might expect.

According to Backpacker magazine, other tips to take into account include using familiar trails -- since getting lost with a newborn would be far from ideal -- and, depending on how young the child is, making sure to use a sling with some head support.

Makes me wonder, what do people do with their children?  We have been taking Z-baby with us everywhere since she was 5 days old.  She goes hiking, backpacking, kayaking and camping with us.  What we do, she does...and here are the pics to prove it.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kaydence2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
We just bought new camping, hikinh, and climbing gear and i we have a 3 1/2 year old dd. Im pregnant and due in october and plan on continuing ALL our activities until i give birth and then when we are all up to it after the baby is born :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lydias_mommy12
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
That's adorable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
That's cool. My cousin and her husband backpacked through India with their than 2 year old and 8 month old.
blues_pagan
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I was just reading the responses to the article and people were calling this guy irresponsible, unwise and all other sorts of names.  people were freaking out of the possibility of him falling off the cliff or the baby some how getting crushed to death.  I just wonder if people are this tense over every day activities that could cause the same injuries.  I also wonder what people think happens when you have children.  Yes, some activities are off limits for a bit when the baby is younger but do people actually stop what they are doing completely and just call their old life done?

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Not something I would personally do BUT I have a gang of kids. Maybe if I only had one......

Looks like y'all had a great time

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Love it! So cool
blues_pagan
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

We plan on continuing to do this regardless of how many children. I have an acquaintance who had 6 children in her home for a while and she took them all hiking up a mountain.  They thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quoting Sassy762:

Not something I would personally do BUT I have a gang of kids. Maybe if I only had one......

Looks like y'all had a great time

Tired of your typical bitch groups...visit The Resort where there is a little something for everyone. Just click on my siggy!

CookieMom108
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd totally call CPS on your ass!  Shame on you, letting your kid have fun like that.

blues_pagan
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I can see where you might be able to do that.  I mean a random bear could have come out of the woods and eaten her.

Quoting CookieMom108:

I'd totally call CPS on your ass!  Shame on you, letting your kid have fun like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't think I'd be out with baby at 2 days old. I also do not have that great of balance, and just looking at them standing out over that peak made me very queasy and unsteady on my feet, even though I'm sitting down lol. But it does look beautiful and if it's what they enjoy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)