Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a safe big dog?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know the question is ignorant as all dogs are animals.  My dh works out of town often.  We have a neighbor that makes us wonder.  Living in the basement of moms house type of guy.  (but we have no basements here) Everytime I leave he is out smoking and facing our house--every time.  He also plays with swords in his front yard.  I am alone a lot and kind of want a little extra protection, but it seems odd as I want a strong dog for that reason, but don't want one for the same reason as I have kids.  

any thoughts?

edit:

1.  I have adopted cats and a dog before and think it is great  but in this scenerio do you think a dog should be a puppy and raised with my kids?

2.   Does the trainer make a difference?  My dh is big strong and can be mean/stern.  Would a dog take it from someone their size?  ( I am 100 lbs)    I just wonder since my dh will not be the one who is teaching it most. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kansasmom1978
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Labs are good dogs. Chocolate labs can be huge. I know a lady with a Bull Mastiff that is a huge baby lol. Any dog can be friendly if raised right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
cane corso! wonderful family dogs, great with kids, bond well, and protective of its family =)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM
11 moms liked this

Get a Pitbull. AMAZING with children and people are scared of them lol no one will fuck with you 

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I have a Rottweiler and she is amazing with all four of my kids. Great protector too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Boxers are amazing family dogs and protective of their families.

Ealane2011
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know how big you want but mastiffs are amazing dogs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM
We are in the process of getting a Doberman/lab mix. He's super protective and cuddly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LStambaugh
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Our Boxer has been a fantastic family dog.   My DH works out of town a lot too and the dog does give me a little sense of security.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Boxers are amazing family dogs and protective of their families.

Boxers are amazing dogs and super cute :) 

jillbailey26
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM
5 moms liked this

Great Pyrenees and Saint Bernard's are great protective dogs.  They're really big though, lol.  They're also very loyal and very gentle with kids.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN