Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just broke down crying in front of my ds7

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Is that bad?

We lost our cat recently and he made a scrapbook of her. I had her for nearly 20 years, I didn't cry when I put her to sleep.  But going through this scrapbook my child made somehow just made me so sad.

Is it bad to cry in front of your kids?

Am I stupid for crying over a cat?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleywagoner
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I think it's ok...we are all human. I am sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mariesmama
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM

your not sttupid pets can become family

christina0607
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Of course I cry in front of my kids. Emotion is a good thing. Without it you'll never teach your child empathy. 

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's bad to show children true emotion. And no, you're not stupid, a lot of people truly love their pets.

I have cried in front of my child on multiple occasions, he knows it's ok to cry if you're sad.

PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Hugs. I am sorry about your cat. Yes it is healthy IMO to cry in front of your child especially in this case. Never use tears as a form of manipulation. I think it important for our children to witness heartbreak and learn not to only express it appropriately but how to deal with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I cry in front of my son a lot lately. I just lost my grandpa in January, everything reminds me of him and I can't help but cry at times.
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM
No it's not stupid! It's fine. I just ha to put my cat down that I've had for 13 years and I was a wreck. My husband and 3 year old daughter came with me to the vet. He took her out of the room when it was time and I held her and cried like a baby when they gave her the shot. I had to come home and tell my 8 year old son, he was home with grandma when we were gone. I broke down again when I told him. I had my cat longer than my husband or any of my kids, she has been with me through a lot and it was reay tough. Your son is very sweet to make a scrapbook and he will not be traumatized by seeing you mourn the loss of what is really a family member.
I'm sorry for your loss, I understand. =((
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

He did ask why I was crying, I told him sometimes all our pain needs some way to get out or it will stay inside us.  I hope he understood.  

Quoting PinkyPan:

Hugs. I am sorry about your cat. Yes it is healthy IMO to cry in front of your child especially in this case. Never use tears as a form of manipulation. I think it important for our children to witness heartbreak and learn not to only express it appropriately but how to deal with it.

seyereus
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM

hI,

First it is never stupid to cry over the loss of something you've loved. Sorry to hear about your cat. Second, in my opinion, I feel there is nothing wrong with crying in front of your kids. Just so long as it is not grown up drama you are crying about and then vent it to them. I feel it shows them that not only are moms human too, but we also have feelings. It will also teach them that it's ok to express emotions. You could use that opportunity to discuss topics such as death and disappointment and that it's ok to feel sad. When they see you smiling again they will know that although bad things happen, life goes on. Just let them console you with their hugs, kisses and their desire to make you feel better. Kids are always good at that :) Then move on. Hopefully that will inspire them to come to you when they are feeling blue too.

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Nothing wrong with showing emotion around your child.  That's healthy.

And it's not stupid to cry over a cat.  We had to put one of our girls down in Oct, I had her for 11 years and I still get very emotional about her....5 months later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)