Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Friends needs a job, I don't. I got the job.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

My friend is in desperate need of a job. We were eating lunch the other day when they put a help wanted sign up. We both applied, I wasn't really expecting anything from it. I want a job but I don't need one. She needs one. They interviewed us both and they only needed to hire one. I got the job.

Now I feel bad because I just got the job to have extra cash and here she is struggling to pay bills. I feel like I took the job from her. 

Dh says I shouldn't feel bad. I earned the job fair and square. He doesn't want me to quit but I feel like I should tell them to give the job to my friend instead. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pbcb
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Even if you quit and tell them to give the job to her, they won't.  They didn't hire her for a reason, and it's not you. 

WithHope
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
You were the better candidate. It's unfortunate, but the way things go!

Quoting Anonymous:

My friend is in desperate need of a job. We were eating lunch the other day when they put a help wanted sign up. We both applied, I wasn't really expecting anything from it. I want a job but I don't need one. She needs one. They interviewed us both and they only needed to hire one. I got the job.

Now I feel bad because I just got the job to have extra cash and here she is struggling to pay bills. I feel like I took the job from her. 

Dh says I shouldn't feel bad. I earned the job fair and square. He doesn't want me to quit but I feel like I should tell them to give the job to my friend instead. What do you think?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ninjakids
by Christina on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM
This

Quoting pbcb:

Even if you quit and tell them to give the job to her, they won't.  They didn't hire her for a reason, and it's not you. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spiritedsoul
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Wow, that really stinks. I think if I was in your situation, I would go directly to the supervisor (boss) and explain the whole situation. Then gently explain that it would conflict with what you feel is right to accept the job, when you don't need it & your friend does. I would highly encourage them to reconsider my friend for the position. I would not feel right if I didn't need the job & I'm one of those people that would feel guilty every second I was there until I quit anyways.

On the other side, DH is right, you earned the position. As long as you can live with your decision, that's all that matters, right.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM

They won't hire her, they will go to the next candidate. IF they wanted to hire her....then she would have gotten the job instead of you

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM

This.

Quoting spiritedsoul:

Wow, that really stinks. I think if I was in your situation, I would go directly to the supervisor (boss) and explain the whole situation. Then gently explain that it would conflict with what you feel is right to accept the job, when you don't need it & your friend does. I would highly encourage them to reconsider my friend for the position. I would not feel right if I didn't need the job & I'm one of those people that would feel guilty every second I was there until I quit anyways.

On the other side, DH is right, you earned the position. As long as you can live with your decision, that's all that matters, right.

ashley9603
by RunningMomma on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM

In the workplace they look at the skills,personality and if you have what it takes to get the job done.Unfortunately there must have been a reason they didnt hire her.Im sure that she will find something.I know you feel bad,but there is little you can do unless  you dont accept the position.

Diamepphyre
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I think I would not have applied in the first place if I didn't need the work, especially knowing that my friend did need a job. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quoting ashley9603:

In the workplace they look at the skills,personality and if you have what it takes to get the job done.Unfortunately there must have been a reason they didnt hire her.Im sure that she will find something.I know you feel bad,but there is little you can do unless  you dont accept the position.

I feel like it had nothing to do with that though. They didn't ask me any personal questions. They just told me the rules, a generic schedule, and how training goes then that was it. I don't even have skills in the restaurant business, she does. Not much but more than me. I just feel like they hired based on first come, first serve. My interview was scheduled for 9:30 and hers was scheduled for 10:00. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured