Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 80 year old grandmother stole a purse!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok not really, I just wanted a title to get you to open the post.

My grandmother bought me an evening bag at Marshall's a couple weeks ago and threw the receipt away and today I came over to visit and get the purse and we see the security tag.

How do we remove it? If I take it back to the store will the remove it without the receipt? Or should we just throw the damn purse away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Petyonsmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Idk did you try googling it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:49 PM

How to Remove Magnetic Tags

How to Remove Magnetic Tags thumbnail
Magnetic security tags

Sometimes it happens! You buy something at your local department store, the clerk forgets to remove the magnetic tag from your purchase and the store beeper never went off! If you don't have time to run all the way back to the store to have it removed, you'll have to do it yourself, And though it may seem impossible, it can be done. Does this Spark an idea?

Things You'll Need

• Very strong magnet

Instructions

Magnet from hard drive

Find a very strong magnet, similar to one in your computer's hard drive. You need a magnet stronger than the one inside the security tag. Find an old hard drive at a computer repair store or a thrift store that sells old computers for really cheap.

Hard drive magnet on magnetic security tag

Place the magnet on top of the security tag. You will feel the force of the two magnets pull together. Twist the hard drive magnet to loosen the magnet that is inside the security tag.

Magnetic tag eeleased

Lift the hard drive magnet off the item that the security magnet is stuck on. The top of the security magnet should lift with the hard drive magnet. There should be a pin that is now stuck in your item. Pull it out and you are security-magnetic-tag-free.

Tips & Warnings

• Security tags should only be removed if the item was legally purchased and the tag was accidentally left on the item.

Read more: How to Remove Magnetic Tags | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5001623_remove-magnetic-tags.html#ixzz2MPxL2XW8
zasemom
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Did she use a credit or debit card?
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:50 PM

How to Remove Security Tags from Clothing

As an anti-theft measure, clothing stores tag certain items with security tags so you'll set off an alarm when you leave with the tag still on the garment or ruin it by spilling ink from the tag if you try to remove it yourself. This isn't a problem so long as the tag gets removed before you leave the store, but sometimes clerks can miss a tag at checkout. If that's happened to you, here's what you can do about it.

How to Remove Security Tags from ClothingThis should go without saying, but don't shoplift. It's not a nice thing to do, and it's illegal. I wrote this post as a remedy to a situation I've been in before. So use this information for good, people.

The unfortunate reality is that there is no magic method to removing the security tags on clothing. The best thing you can do is just go back to the store, explain what happened, and hope they believe you. If you still have your receipt that shouldn't be a problem. If going back to the store is not an option, you're just too lazy, or can't remember, here are some alternatives:

• Cut it off with a dremel or thin wire cutter. You're probably not going to want to spend the money on a dremel if you don't already have one, but that's what eHow suggests. They say a wire cutter won't work because it's often too thick. So, get a thin one. Ultimately the dremel will probably be more effective, but it's definitely the costlier option. (Not that this situation really warrants spending more than $5 in the first place.)
  • Another eHow article offers a better solution for some tags—use rubber bands! Basically, you wrap the rubber band around the pin until it loosens, then pull the tag out. Full instructions here.
  • For ink tags, just freeze the garment and the tag, then rip it open with brute force. Ink can't spill when it's frozen. (Thanks Josef!) Another similar alternative is to just wrap a plastic bag around the tag and rip it off. (Thanks Brant!)
  • Just hit it in the right place.

Special to everyone for all their suggestions! Got any other suggestions? Let's hear 'em in the comments. 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

How to Remove a Security Tag from Clothing

Edited by Flickety, Maluniu, The820scenario, BR and 24 others

Ever come home from shopping only to realize that the cashier who rang you up forgot to remove the security tag? You don't have to go all the way back to the store just to have it removed. You can do it at home with just a thin flathead screwdriver.

EditSteps

1. 1
    The video showing two needle nose pliers on either side of the rectangular pyramid bump is the right and easy way to remove the tag. Put the pliers close in on either side and bend down . It is not difficult so don't over do it. The button with the metal pin on the other side will come loose. The video is right underneath this text description. I tried it with regular pliers first and it wasn't working. Needle nose pliers, like in the video is the magic ingredient! Worked like a charm :)
  2. 2
    Place article of clothing firmly on floor with rectangular part of security tag facing up.
  3. 3
    Using the thinnest-headed flathead screwdriver you can find, place it along the edge of the raised square pyramid and press down hard. This should pierce the plastic where the head is.
  4. 4
    Repeat Step 2 all the way around the raised square pyramid until it can be completely removed.
  5. 5
    Remove the silver paper lining so you can see the metal plate beneath it.
  6. 6
    Using the screwdriver again, lift up one of the metal arms that is holding the pin in place.
  7. 7
    The pin should slide right through the now free hole and through the back of your clothing.
  8. 8
    Alternatively, using a hammer.
  9. 9
    Place the security tag on its side (the long and thin side) and hold securely with one hand
  10. 10
    Grasp hammer securely with other hand and bash the thing firmly several times.
  11. 11
    Once the plastic has cracked, you can easily tear the tag apart, and the pin should slide out freely.
  12. 12
    or apply correct amount of heat on the rectangular blue portion and pull the cloth from the tag. This can work out easily.

EditVideo

EditTips

• You can also use the lighter method, place the tag with the point (rectangular tag) facing up melt down the point until the metal is exposed and two flaps that hold the pin in place, bend back the tabs and bingo the security tag is removed.
  • This works for the rectangular tabs with the round pin fastener.
  • Don`t do this before you leave the store
  • Sometimes the stores use magnets to remove them, like Kohl's so try to put two magnets on the sides of the pin holding area to take it out. Alternatively place a strong magnet (neodymium) on the raised plastic part and pull the pin out.
  • For the ones that are rectangular and have Ink in them, just using a Grinding wheel on the back side, there is a pin inside there that is held with little notches, just to be safe cover the ink side with tape.
  • You could also crack it open walnut-style with pliers.

EditWarnings

• Don't steal.
  • Watch your hands when using the screwdriver!
  • This method will not work with ink tags; you might want to try putting the garment in the freezer to solidify the ink before attempting.

EditThings You'll Need

• Thin, flathead screwdriver.
  • Hammer
  • both hands (or a friend!)
  • A sharp knife can be used in place of the screwdriver as it is easier to just cut the plastic pyramid off rather then pry it off
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Very carefully!  My husband bought me some underware when I was in the hospital and Kmart failed to take security tag.  I think he took pliers?   it looks like a big thumb tack once you get the top off.  Be careful and it wont be a problem. 

kdloves.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM

They will take the security tag off at the store without the receipt. All they have to do is scan the price tag and that'll show it's been purchased. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

LovelyMommy24
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:53 PM
They should take it off without a receipt, just call and ask them first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Those directions work! I bought some jeans for my toddler at the mall an hour away from my house three days ago. I figured I was just out of luck. It's quite simple. Awesome!
KeriAZ
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Be careful. Sears uses ones that explode ink everywhere. U have go back to have it removed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN