Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 12 Replies
Dh and I went to look at new vans today. We don't need one but my van has reached the point where we usually trade in for a new vehicle. We have a pre-approval from the bank and agreed we would just look and only buy if offered a great deal.

I told dh last night that I really wanted a touch screen navigation system like on his car (he got a new car yesterday which is where this whole thing came up). So we go to look today and the vans with the screen are about $6000 more than one without. Dh asked what I wanted so I told him I wanted the screen. Because of that, there was no way to get a new van right now. I was fine with that, not really sure I wanted the increased payment anyway. Dh is upset because he said I took a stand on wanting the screen which made getting a new van impossible. We "may" have been able to work out a reasonable deal for the other van which would have still offered hands free phone and controls on the steering wheel for the phone, just no touch screen. I have an iPhone with GPS so I don't "need" the nav system but it would be much easier and safer (IMO) than trying to look at the phone for directions. Dh says I was being immature and was wrong for standing firm about the screen. I don't know that I agree. As I told him, if I needed a new vehicle I wouldn't mind "settling" but since my current van is perfectly fine and the question was what did I want, I don't see how I'm wrong. So what do you ladies think?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Anyone?
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I would wait if it was me.  It is your vehicle, your choice.  If you want to wait it out for what you want, wait it out. He got the car he wanted, so you should get the one you want.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

well, since you are willing to hold out a while on getting the new car, why not hold out for what you want? if you are helping pay for it then i truly dont see a problem. (and all new model phones come with voice GPS, so you dont need to look at the phone for directions)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM

i think he was right sorry

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Its what you'll drive so what you want is important. Id rather have a new van tho lol.
rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:40 PM
That's what he kept saying, at least it would be a new van! I see his point to a degree but don't see how his is more valid than mine. I'm debating if I should bring it up again and maybe look at getting the other one if we can. It was nice too, don't get me wrong. It would have hands free phone and it had a DVD player in the back for the kids (my current van doesn't have either of those). I just thought that we were looking for what I really wanted. Men, lol!

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Its what you'll drive so what you want is important. Id rather have a new van tho lol.
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I would get the one without the screen - then spend the $1000 an aftemarket one would cost to add one.  We added one to our truck (stereo, satellite radio, gps, ipod integration) all for $1000.

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Siri talks to me when giving directions (iPhone 4S). But if you're going to be driving it, you should get what you want.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We used to buy new cars. Now, in retrospect, I regret it. As soon as you drive them off the lot, they are worth less. Invest your money, buy used cars.. Better yet, keep the one you have.

The last van we bought new, we still have. It is 13 years old, with 180,000 miles on it. It runs great! We haven't had a car payment in 8 years. I love it!

rebeccasmommy09
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I have an iPhone 4 so it doesn't talk to me.

Quoting MichLW69:

Siri talks to me when giving directions (iPhone 4S). But if you're going to be driving it, you should get what you want.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured